What household liquid has a density of 3gm/cm^3 to separate minerals?

In summary, the conversation discussed the desire to separate Quartz and Topaz crystals using a fluid with a density of 3gm/cm^3. The individual was looking for a common household material that could be used for this purpose and mentioned the possibility of using a slurry of ferrosilicon and water, as is done in diamond separation.
Panthera Leo
Hello,

I have a bunch of Quartz & Topaz crystals from an alluvial deposit in a mixed parcel, & I would like to separate them in a quick & easy way... I thought of using a fluid with a density of 3gm/cm^3 so that the quartz float & the topaz sink...

Which liquid is applicable for this purpose?

It is preferred if the fluid could be made out of common material available at home! :smile:

I high appreciate your contributions & thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If memory serves me correctly, they separate diamonds (relative density 3,5) from less dense minerals by heavy medium separation where the medium is a slurry of ferrosilicon and water.

Matcon said:
If memory serves me correctly, they separate diamonds (relative density 3,5) from less dense minerals by heavy medium separation where the medium is a slurry of ferrosilicon and water.

Thanks a lot Matcon!

This is a truly nice information...

1. What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for density is mass divided by volume. In other words, density = mass/volume.

2. How is the density of a fluid measured?

The density of a fluid can be measured by using a hydrometer, which is a device that measures the displacement of a fluid. It can also be measured by using a graduated cylinder and measuring the mass of a known volume of the fluid.

3. What does a density of 3 gm/cm^3 mean?

A density of 3 gm/cm^3 means that for every cubic centimeter of the fluid, there is a mass of 3 grams. This indicates that the fluid is relatively dense.

4. How does the density of a fluid affect its behavior?

The density of a fluid affects its behavior in several ways. It determines how the fluid will interact with other objects, such as whether it will sink or float. It also affects its flow and viscosity, as denser fluids tend to flow more slowly and have higher viscosity.

5. Can the density of a fluid change?

Yes, the density of a fluid can change depending on factors such as temperature and pressure. For example, as a fluid is heated, its particles become more spread out, resulting in a lower density. Similarly, increasing pressure can compress a fluid, increasing its density.