1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Depth of a cone rate problem (question about the equation I'm using)

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conical tank (with vertex down) is 10 feet across the top and 12 feet deep. If water is flowing into the tank at a rate of 10 cubic feet per minute, find the rate of change of the depth of the water when the water is 8 feet deep.

2. Relevant equations

Cone: V= (Ah/3)

Right Circular Cone: V=[(pi)(r^2)(h)]/(3)

3. The attempt at a solution

So on this on I'm confused about the equation I need to derive to begin with..

I looked up the volume of a cone and it had two choices (stated above)

So I think I need to use just the cone one because the problem doesn't say its a right circular cone. Is that correct?

Assuming I do in fact need to use V= (Ah/3)

Do I then plug in A=(pi)(r^2) which is the area of a circle? the book says A equalls the area of the base, which appears to be a circle to me...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2
    ok the volume of the cone is

[tex]V=\frac{1}{3}r^{2}\pi H[/tex]

The info that you know are:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=10[/tex], [tex] r=5[/tex]

We need to find [tex]\frac{dH}{dt}=?[/tex] when H=8(be carefule here, you are not to plug this value for H in, immediately on the equation for the volume, since H (depth) is changing). Now try to find a relation between the radius of the circle on the cone when H=8, using these information.
    Draw a picture it usually helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?