Derivation: Maxwell's equation only from the Lorenz gauge

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation of Maxwell's equations using only symmetry and the Lorenz gauge condition. The derivation raises questions about the absence of magnetic monopoles and the use of a specific gauge. It is suggested that the author may have used the Maxwell equations in their derivation and recommends consulting a textbook on theoretical physics for a better understanding.
greypilgrim
Hi.

Here, somebody apparently derives Maxwell's equations using only symmetry of second derivatives and the Lorenz gauge condition. Unfortunately it's in German, but I think the basic ideas are clear from the maths only.

In this derivation, the magnetic field turns out to be divergence-free, even before the application of the gauge condition. Why? Shouldn't such a general derivation allow for magnetic monopoles?

Also, it seems a bit suspicious that this derivation only works by fixing a specific gauge. How can this be the same as usual ED which allows different gauges?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think, in this derivation the author used already what he claims to derive. Usually you start from the Maxwell equations, which cannot be derived, because they are a fundamental law of Nature. The homogeneous Maxwell equations are constraints, involving only the field (with its electric an magnetic components) and thus can be substituted by using a four-vector potential (or in (3+1)D language a scalar and a vector potential), which however is only defined modulo a gauge transformation since electromagnetism turns out to be a gauge theory.

If, on the other hand, you make the postulate that the electromagnetic field is the gauge boson of an un-Higgsed U(1) local gauge symmetry you can almost without much further input guess the Lagrangian and thus Maxwell's equations. The only allowed terms in the Lagrangian are such that lead to gauge invariant terms in the action. Then by power counting the leading term must lead to the free Maxwell equations. Then you can also couple a conserved U(1) current to get the equation with sources.

vanhees71 said:
I think, in this derivation the author used already what he claims to derive.
Can you see where exactly they did that?

Well, I've no clue what the author is really aiming at, but obviously he assumes to know the Maxwell equations and then uses the potentials in the usual way to eliminate the homogeneous Maxwell equations. As I said, I think he simply used the Maxwell equations to derive the Maxwell equations in terms of the potentials in Lorenz gauge, but writes it down in an ununderstandable way. I've no clue, what this webpage is good for and to whom it may be aimed. I'd recommend to read a standard textbook on the subject. Since obviously you understand German, my recommendation for theoretical physics is

M. Bartelmann, B. Feuerbacher, T. Krüger, D. Lüst, A. Rebhan, and A. Wipf, Theoretische Physik, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2015.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-54618-1

1. What is the Lorenz gauge?

The Lorenz gauge is a mathematical condition used in electromagnetic theory that ensures the uniqueness of solutions for Maxwell's equations. It states that the divergence of the electromagnetic vector potential must be equal to the negative of the time derivative of the scalar electric potential.

2. How does the Lorenz gauge relate to Maxwell's equations?

The Lorenz gauge is one of the four Maxwell's equations and is necessary for the equations to be fully consistent and describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in the presence of charges and currents. It ensures that the equations have a unique solution and maintain causality.

3. Can Maxwell's equations be derived solely from the Lorenz gauge?

No, the Lorenz gauge is just one part of Maxwell's equations and cannot fully describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. The other three equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, are also necessary for a complete derivation of Maxwell's equations.

4. Why is the Lorenz gauge important in electromagnetic theory?

The Lorenz gauge is important because it allows us to solve Maxwell's equations in a consistent and unique way. It also has physical significance, as it describes the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and ensures that electromagnetic waves propagate at the speed of light.

5. What are some applications of the Lorenz gauge?

The Lorenz gauge is used in many applications of electromagnetic theory, such as in understanding the behavior of antennas, transmission lines, and electromagnetic waves. It is also used in the development of technologies such as wireless communication systems and medical imaging techniques.