Derivation of Decay Chain Formulae

In summary, the conversation discusses a first order ODE involving the decay of parent and daughter nuclei, represented by the equation dNd/dt = λpNp - λdNd. The missing equation, dNp/dt = -λpNp, is needed to fully solve the system. The solution involves substituting Np = Np0e^-λpt into the equation and finding the solution claimed.
charliec2uk
I'm afraid I'm suffering from a bit of brain block in try to get from the simple statement of change in the number of daughter nuclei arising from the decay of parent nuclei. The basic statement is straight forward...

[tex]

\frac {dN_d}{dt} = \lambda_pN_p - \lambda_dN_d

[/tex]

Subscripts d and p denote parent and daughter nuclei and lambda is the activity.

However I'm struggling to derive the following relationship from the above identity - I can't seem to find any pointers in any textbooks... At face value I think this should be a pretty easy first order ODE to solve, but I think I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious, but any tips would be gratefully recieved.

[tex]

N_d = \frac{\lambda_pN_{p0}}{\lambda_d - \lambda_p} (e^{-\lambda_pt}-e^{\lambda_dt}) + N_{d0}e^{\lambda_dt}

[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ODE has two variables,Np and Nd, so you need another equation otherwise your system is undetermined.

Oh yeah I get it! The equation you are missing is simply

[tex]\frac{dN_p}{dt}=-\lambda_pN_p[/tex]

This is easy to solve:

[tex]N_p=N_{p0}e^{-\lambda_pt}[/tex]

Substitute this into the equation tou wrote, and you'll find exactly the solution you claimed.
(This is simply a system in which the species p decays into the species d, which in turn also decays through other channels)

1. What is the purpose of deriving decay chain formulae?

The purpose of deriving decay chain formulae is to understand and predict the rate at which radioactive nuclei decay and transform into other nuclei in a chain reaction. This is important for various scientific fields, including nuclear physics and chemistry, as well as practical applications such as nuclear power and radiometric dating.

2. How are decay chain formulae derived?

Decay chain formulae are derived by applying mathematical and statistical methods to the fundamental principles of radioactive decay, such as the law of radioactive decay, half-life, and branching ratios. This involves analyzing the decay pathways and interactions between different nuclei in the chain, and using equations to describe the rate of decay and the abundance of each nucleus over time.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of decay chain formulae?

The accuracy of decay chain formulae can be affected by various factors, including the initial conditions of the decay chain (such as the starting abundance of nuclei), the stability and half-life of each nucleus in the chain, and the presence of any interfering reactions or external influences. Additionally, assumptions and simplifications made during the derivation process can also impact the accuracy of the formulae.

4. Are there different types of decay chain formulae?

Yes, there are different types of decay chain formulae depending on the type of decay involved. For example, there are formulae for alpha, beta, and gamma decay chains, as well as for different types of radioactive decay (e.g. beta-minus, alpha emission, electron capture). The specific formula used will depend on the specific decay chain being studied.

5. How are decay chain formulae used in practical applications?

Decay chain formulae are used in various practical applications, such as nuclear power plants, where the rate of decay of radioactive nuclei is harnessed to generate electricity. They are also used in radiometric dating, where the rate of decay is used to determine the age of rocks and artifacts. Additionally, these formulae are used in nuclear medicine for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.