Derivation of Ee in Inverse Compton Scattering

In summary: I tried googling, but I don't understand what the "limits can be taken safely" means.In summary, the homework statement is that find the formula of the recoiled electron as a function of the incoming electron. The Attempt at a Solution starts from this reference and shows how to derive the Ee from the known information.
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry if that seems a bit coarse. After posting I noticed this was your first post in the homework area. Didn't mean to shoo you away. Anyway, the homework area has some guidelines with mandatory parts. Showing an effort is the main one. To prevent us from being used as workhorses instead of helpers. :wink:

BvU said:
Sorry if that seems a bit coarse. After posting I noticed this was your first post in the homework area. Didn't mean to shoo you away. Anyway, the homework area has some guidelines with mandatory parts. Showing an effort is the main one. To prevent us from being used as workhorses instead of helpers. :wink:
Sorry, I just wanted to avoid redundancy as I already posted the link.

What I have already in the reference frame of the e- for the photon

[itex] E_0 = \gamma E_0^* (1- \frac{u}{c}cos\theta_0^*) \\

E_1 = \frac{E_0}{1+ \frac{E_0}{(m_e*c^2)}(1-cos\phi)} \\

E_1^*= \gamma E_1(1- \frac{u}{c}cos\theta_0^*)[/itex]where [itex]*[/itex] denotes the lab reference frame

[itex] \theta_0^* [/itex] the angle between the direction of the e- and the incoming photon in the lab frame

[itex] \phi [/itex] the angle between the incoming and outgoing photon in the rest frame of the e-..

Now, I cannot figure out how to get the energy of the electron in the lab frame...

Last edited:
Hi

Any hint for this ?

Thanks again

@Orodruin : can you help this guy out ? I don't get much further than googling to see what limits can be taken safely. (Sorry Alk...)

BvU said:
@Orodruin : can you help this guy out ? I don't get much further than googling to see what limits can be taken safely. (Sorry Alk...)
I think what I am not sure about, is how to derive the Ee given the fact that the the photon energy has to be corrected with the Doppler term and has been "boosted" by the gamma...

Hi

@Orodruin @BvU sorry for keep bugging you again, but any help would be highly appreciated

Related to Derivation of Ee in Inverse Compton Scattering

What is inverse Compton scattering and how does it work?

Inverse Compton scattering is a process in which a high-energy photon (such as an X-ray or gamma ray) collides with a lower-energy electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron. This results in the scattered photon having a higher energy and the electron having a higher velocity. The process is governed by the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

What is Ee in inverse Compton scattering?

Ee refers to the energy of the scattered electron in the inverse Compton scattering process. This energy is related to the energy of the incoming photon and the scattering angle, and can be calculated using the formula Ee = Eγ / (1 + Eγ / mec^2 * (1 - cosθ)), where Eγ is the energy of the incoming photon, mec^2 is the rest mass energy of the electron, and θ is the scattering angle.

How is the Ee value derived in inverse Compton scattering?

The Ee value is derived using the equation Ee = Eγ / (1 + Eγ / mec^2 * (1 - cosθ)), which takes into account the conservation of energy and momentum in the scattering process. This equation can be derived using various mathematical techniques, including relativistic kinematics and conservation laws.

What factors affect the Ee value in inverse Compton scattering?

The Ee value is affected by the energy of the incoming photon, the rest mass energy of the electron, and the scattering angle. In general, as the energy of the incoming photon or the scattering angle increases, the Ee value also increases. However, the Ee value cannot exceed the energy of the incoming photon, as energy must be conserved in the scattering process.

What are the applications of inverse Compton scattering in science?

Inverse Compton scattering has many applications in astrophysics, nuclear physics, and other fields of science. It is used to study high-energy processes in celestial objects such as pulsars and active galactic nuclei, as well as to create high-energy radiation sources for research purposes. It is also a key process in the production of X-rays and gamma rays in medical imaging and radiation therapy.