Derivation of eq. (N.10) on page 791 of Appendix N in Ashcroft's SSP.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the purpose of deriving eq. (N.10) on page 791 of Appendix N in Ashcroft's SSP is to provide a mathematical expression for the relationship between interatomic force and distance in solids. It is derived using the concept of pair interactions and is essential in understanding solid behavior. Eq. (N.10) is a fundamental equation in solid state physics and can be applied to all types of solids, but may require modifications for certain materials. However, it does have limitations, as it assumes a perfect crystalline structure and does not consider external factors or defects in the material.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Homework Statement
I want to derive equation (N.10) on page 791, i.e.:
$$\sum_f(\Phi_i, A\Phi_f)(\Phi_f,B\Phi_i)=(\Phi_i,AB\Phi_i)$$
where ##A,B## are operators, and ##\Phi_i, \Phi_f## are the initial and final wavefunctions before and after the scattering.
Relevant Equations
$$(\Phi_i,\Phi_f) = \int \Phi_i^* \Phi_f$$
Well as always start with the definition of scalar product:

$$\sum_f (\Phi_i,A\Phi_f)(\Phi_f ,B\phi_i) = \sum_f \int \Phi_i^*A\Phi_f \int \Phi_f^* B\Phi_i=\int \int \Phi_i^* \sum_f A\Phi_f \Phi_f^* B\Phi_i$$

How to continue from the last equality?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it, ##\sum_f A \phi_f^* \phi_f = A## since ##\sum_f \phi_f^*\phi_f = 1##.

Am I correct?

1. What is the significance of eq. (N.10) on page 791 of Appendix N in Ashcroft's SSP?

Eq. (N.10) is a mathematical equation that is derived in Appendix N of Ashcroft's Solid State Physics (SSP) book. It is used to describe the behavior of a system of interacting particles, specifically in the context of statistical mechanics.

2. How is eq. (N.10) derived in Appendix N of Ashcroft's SSP?

Eq. (N.10) is derived using mathematical and statistical techniques in Appendix N of Ashcroft's SSP. The derivation involves manipulating and simplifying various equations and expressions to arrive at the final form of eq. (N.10).

3. What does eq. (N.10) represent in the context of statistical mechanics?

Eq. (N.10) represents the partition function, which is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics. It is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its energy and entropy, by summing over all possible microstates of the system.

4. Can eq. (N.10) be applied to all systems or only specific ones?

Eq. (N.10) can be applied to a wide range of systems, including gases, liquids, and solids. However, it is most commonly used in the study of systems with a large number of particles, where statistical mechanics is applicable.

5. How is eq. (N.10) used in practical applications?

Eq. (N.10) is used in practical applications to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its heat capacity and free energy. It is also used to analyze and predict phase transitions and other macroscopic behavior of materials.