1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Larmor formula

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to derive this formula, and I'm basing it upon the following method (this has the diagram which I will be talking about below)
    http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1214926.files/Purcell-appendix-B.pdf

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm fine with everything apart from the reasoning that the parallel field lines (from where q is, and where it would be) have to join up in the middle region. The reasoning for this is given as

'A field line such as AB lies on a cone around the x axis which includes a certain amount of flux from the charge q. If CD makes the same angle θ with the axis, the cone on which it lies includes the same amount of flux. Hence AB and CD must be parts of the same field line, connected by a segment BC.'

I don't see how the cones having equal flux implies the two field lines must be the same and so joined. Could anybody explain this? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2
    Anyone please? It won't take too long to read the derivation!

4. Nov 8, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've tried a couple of times to view the PDF, but it comes up blank on my system. Maybe others have the same problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted