Understanding the Larmor Formula: The Role of Field Line Connections

In summary, the conversation is about a person needing to derive a formula and using a method with a diagram from a PDF. They are struggling with understanding the reasoning for why parallel field lines need to join up in the middle region. They are asking for clarification on how equal flux in the cones implies that the field lines must be connected.
albega

Homework Statement

I need to derive this formula, and I'm basing it upon the following method (this has the diagram which I will be talking about below)
http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1214926.files/Purcell-appendix-B.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fine with everything apart from the reasoning that the parallel field lines (from where q is, and where it would be) have to join up in the middle region. The reasoning for this is given as

'A field line such as AB lies on a cone around the x-axis which includes a certain amount of flux from the charge q. If CD makes the same angle θ with the axis, the cone on which it lies includes the same amount of flux. Hence AB and CD must be parts of the same field line, connected by a segment BC.'

I don't see how the cones having equal flux implies the two field lines must be the same and so joined. Could anybody explain this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone please? It won't take too long to read the derivation!

I've tried a couple of times to view the PDF, but it comes up blank on my system. Maybe others have the same problem.

What is the Larmor formula?

The Larmor formula, also known as the Larmor equation, is a fundamental formula in electromagnetism that describes the rate at which a charged particle radiates energy as it accelerates. It is named after Irish physicist Joseph Larmor, who first derived it in 1897.

What is the physical significance of the Larmor formula?

The Larmor formula is significant because it provides a mathematical description of how charged particles lose energy as they accelerate, which is a crucial phenomenon in many areas of physics, including particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and astrophysics.

How is the Larmor formula derived?

The Larmor formula is derived using classical electromagnetism principles, specifically Maxwell's equations. It involves calculating the rate at which energy is radiated by an accelerating charged particle, taking into account its charge, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the Larmor formula?

The derivation of the Larmor formula assumes that the charged particle is moving at a constant velocity and its acceleration is small compared to the speed of light. It also assumes that the particle is non-relativistic, meaning its speed is much smaller than the speed of light.

Does the Larmor formula have any limitations?

Yes, the Larmor formula is a classical formula and does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics. It is also only applicable to non-relativistic particles, as mentioned earlier. In addition, it does not consider the effects of the particle's own magnetic field on its radiation, which can be significant for highly charged particles.