Derivation of momentum expectancy

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of the expectation value of momentum in Griffiths' Introduction to QM. The question is why the limits are zero when the x term is included in the evaluation. The person asking the question points out that it would be easy to see the brackets equaling zero without the x term.
A_B
Hi,

I'm working through Griffiths' Introduction to QM, In the derivation for the expectation value of momentum, he uses that
[tex]\left( x \left. \left( \Psi^* \frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial \Psi^*}{\partial x}\Psi \right) \right) \right|_{-\infty}^{+\infty} = 0[/tex]

Why is this so? It's easy to see that this is zero if the x weren't there, but I can't figure out why the limits are zero with the x in.

Thanks,
A_B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
since you said that it's easy to see that this is zeero if the x weren't there, wouldn't that mean by your reasoning that everything inside the brackets would equal zero.

I'm sorry, the x is included in the evaluation, I edited the first post to make that clear, thanks.

1. What is momentum expectancy?

Momentum expectancy is a concept in physics that refers to the expected change in an object's momentum over a period of time. It takes into account the object's mass, velocity, and the forces acting upon it.

2. How is momentum expectancy calculated?

Momentum expectancy is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its average velocity over a specific time interval. This calculation takes into consideration both the object's current momentum and the forces acting upon it.

3. What does a positive momentum expectancy indicate?

A positive momentum expectancy indicates that an object's momentum is expected to increase over time. This could be due to an increase in velocity, a change in direction, or a combination of both.

4. Can momentum expectancy be negative?

Yes, momentum expectancy can be negative. This would indicate that an object's momentum is expected to decrease over time, possibly due to a decrease in velocity or a change in direction opposite of the object's current momentum.

5. How does momentum expectancy affect an object's motion?

Momentum expectancy is directly related to an object's motion. If the momentum expectancy is positive, the object will continue to move in its current direction with increasing momentum. If the momentum expectancy is negative, the object's motion will be affected and may eventually come to a stop or change direction.