Derivation of the divergence in the spherical coordinate

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the divergence in spherical coordinates and the question of why there is an r^2 factor in the partial derivative operator. It is explained that this factor is necessary due to the transformation theorem for integrals and the importance of considering the radius in volume formulas.
elgen
Hi,

I am reviewing some vector calculus and have a problem on the derivation of the divergence in the spherical coordinate.

Assume there is a small volume located at [tex]r_0, \theta_0, \phi_0[/tex] with a volume of [tex]r_0^2\sin\theta_0 \Delta r \Delta \theta \Delta \phi[/tex].

My question is that why there is an [tex]r^2[/tex] sitting behind the partial derivative operator? The problem is attached.

My feeling is that as I take the limit of the volume going to 0, I can cannot cancel [tex]r_0^2[/tex]. However, I cannot give a good justification to that.

Would anyone knowledgeable with vector calculus give an explanation? Thank you.

elgen

Attachments

• test.pdf
    69.6 KB · Views: 288
Physics news on Phys.org
The procedure is described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_coordinate_transformations#From_spherical_coordinates

If we change coordinates in an integral we have to adjust the volume elements by the determinant of the transformation matrix, and this determinant is ##r^2 \sin \vartheta##. It is the transformation theorem for integrals. In words: you must not neglect the radius, as it is part of the formulas for volume. Without it you would set ##r=1## which makes no sense if we want to consider an infinitesimal volume element,

FAQ: Derivation of the divergence in the spherical coordinate

1. What is the derivation of the divergence in spherical coordinates?

The derivation of the divergence in spherical coordinates involves using vector calculus to find the rate of change of a vector field at a point in space. This is done by taking the dot product of the gradient operator with the vector field in spherical coordinates.

2. Why is the divergence important in spherical coordinates?

The divergence is important in spherical coordinates because it helps us understand the behavior of a vector field in three-dimensional space. It can tell us whether a vector field is spreading out or converging at a certain point, which is useful in many physical and mathematical applications.

3. What are the main steps in deriving the divergence in spherical coordinates?

The main steps in deriving the divergence in spherical coordinates include: converting the vector field into spherical coordinates, calculating the partial derivatives of the components of the vector field, taking the dot product of the gradient operator with the vector field, and simplifying the resulting expression.

4. How does the divergence in spherical coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, the divergence is calculated using the gradient operator in spherical coordinates, which includes the use of trigonometric functions. In Cartesian coordinates, the divergence is simply the sum of the partial derivatives of the components of the vector field.

5. What are some applications of the divergence in spherical coordinates?

The divergence in spherical coordinates is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to study the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields, and it is also important in solving differential equations and understanding the geometry of three-dimensional space.

Back