1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative fraction proof

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}f(z)=A[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}g(z)=B[/tex] then prove that [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}=\frac{A}{B}[/tex] for [tex]B\neq0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I write [tex]f(z)=A+\epsilon_1(z)[/tex] and [tex]g(z)=B+\epsilon_2(z)[/tex], where the epsilon-functions tend to zero as z tends to z_0. I now write

[tex]
    \left|\frac{f(z)}{g(z)}-\frac{A}{B}\right|=\left|\frac{A+\epsilon_1(z)}{B+\epsilon_2(z)}-\frac{A}{B}\right|=\left|\frac{AB+B\epsilon_1(z)-AB-A\epsilon_2(z)}{B^2+B\epsilon_2(z)}\right|\le\frac{|B\epsilon_1(z)|+|A\epsilon_2(z)|}{|B^2+B\epsilon_2(z)|}
    [/tex]
    And since the above can be made arbitrarily small by letting z tend to z_0, I am done, or what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think you are not done. Given a positive number [itex]\epsilon[/itex], you have to demonstrate the existence of a positive number [itex]\delta[/itex] such that |x - x0| < [itex]\delta[/itex] implies that |f(x)/g(x) - A/B| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

4. Jun 16, 2009 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Looks good to me. Check that [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} f(z) = A[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]f(z) = A+\epsilon_1 (z)[/tex] where the epsilon-function goes to zero as [tex]z\rightarrow z_0[/tex], then you are in fact done.

5. Jun 16, 2009 #4
    Mark44:

I have [tex]\epsilon_1(z)=f'(\xi)(z-z_0)[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon_2(z)=g'(\zeta)(z-z_0)[/tex] so

[tex]
    \frac {|B\epsilon_1(z)|+|A\epsilon_2(z)|}{|B^2+B\epsilon _2(z)|}=\frac{(|Bf'(\xi)|+|Ag'(\zeta)|)|z-z_0|}{|B^2+Bg'(\zeta)(z-z_0)|}.
    [/tex]

Now if [tex]\delta=\frac{1}{k|g'(\zeta)|}[/tex] and [tex]|z-z_0|<\delta[/tex] and k>1 I get

[tex]
    \frac{(|Bf'(\xi)|+|Ag'(\zeta)|)|z-z_0|}{|B^2+Bg'(\zeta)(z-z_0)|}\le \frac{1}{k}\frac{(|Bf'(\xi)|+|Ag'(\zeta)|)|g'(\zeta)|}{|B|^2-\frac{|B|}{k}}\le\frac{1}{k}C
    [/tex]

where
    [tex]
    C=\frac{(|Bf'(\xi)|+|Ag'(\zeta)|)|g'(\zeta)|}{|B|^2-|B|}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook