Derivative not correct for online hw submission, but is correct

  • Thread starter Thread starter Torshi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Torshi
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the d/dx
(x^2+2x+5)^2


Homework Equations




Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution



My answer:

2(x^2+2x+5)*(2x+2)*2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you apply the chain rule again to (2x+2)? You only need to do it once.

It should be:

##2(x^2 + 2x + 5)(2x + 2)##

Think of it this way: ##f(x) = x^2## and ##g(x) = x^2 + 2x + 5##.

Then, ##D(f \circ g)(x) = Df(g(x))D(g(x))##
 
Last edited:
You could also just multiply it out and use the power rule.
 
Torshi, your title is misleading. The derivative you show is not correct for online submission, AND it is not correct, as Karnage1993 points out.
 
Mark44 said:
Torshi, your title is misleading. The derivative you show is not correct for online submission, AND it is not correct, as Karnage1993 points out.

I didn't mean it to be misleading. My fault. The reason why I said that was because I was at my university math lab and even one of the math instructors said it was correct, but made a tad mistake until I mentioned it. I figured out the answer though.