Derivative of a function, then simplifying it

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the derivative of y=sqrt(arctan(x)) and simplifying it using implicit differentiation. The question also asks for the use of relevant formulas and whether it is necessary to differentiate implicitly. A solution attempt is provided, but it is unclear how to simplify the result further. A suggestion is made to evaluate cos^2(arctan(x)) for potential simplification.
stripes
Hi all...not sure if this should be here, perhaps in the precalc section =S but here goes anyways...

1. So the question asks to find the derivative of y = sqrt(arctan x), then to simplify wherever possible...my issue is not with the differentiation, but rather with the simplifying...oh and we also need to use implicit differentiation when doing so, see my attempt at the solution below.
2. No relevant formulae
3. I basically manipulated the eqn so it was x = tan (sqrt (y)), and then found dy/dx by implicitly differentiating...then i eventually got to this:

dy/dx = (2sqrt (y))/(sec^2 (sqrt(y)))

AND we have y explicitly, so we can substitute y = sqrt(arctan)...so I do that, and I get...

dy/dx = (2sqrt (sqrt(arctan)))/(sec^2 (sqrt(sqrt(arctan))))

which is the same as

dy/dx = (2qrrt(arctan))/(sec^2 (qrrt(arctan))) (qrrt = quartic root of...i'm not sure if that's legit or not...)

so my final answer was dy/dx = (2qrrt(arctan))/(sec^2 (qrrt(arctan))) but the question says simplify, and after an hour of staring at this, i can't seem to figure out what more to simplify?!

Am i missing something? Can i simplify further in this case?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey stripes, I have a question - do you have to differentiate implicitly? If you have to find the derivative of

[tex]y=\sqrt{arctan(x)}[/tex],

isn't the equation already in explicit form? (It's been a few years since calculus, so I wasn't sure). In which case, you could do the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{2}(arctan(x))^{-\frac{1}{2}}\left(\frac{1}{1+x^2}\right)[/tex]

Hope this helps. Otherwise, feel free to disregard. :)

yes, i failed to mention that in the question lol...we're supposed to use implicit differentiation.

Thanks for the help tho!

stripes, I'm just going to laugh at you and leave it at that... hehe just kidding :wink:

Ok, you see, your problem isn't in the calculus like you said. It's in an even tougher part!

[tex]y=\sqrt{arctan(x)}[/tex]

[tex]y^2=arctan(x)[/tex]

[tex]x=tan(y^2)[/tex]

:-p

Oh my gosh thank you!

No problem :smile:

Those simple mistakes are what frustrates me to no end.

yup, and they're always the ones that keep me up all night!

Thanks again!

arghh...okay so now i get dy/dx = 1/(sec^2((arctan x))(2sqrt(arctan x))

which simplifies into (cos^2(arctan x))/(2sqrt (arctan x))

so I'm sort of back at the same question...does this simplify further?

Oh, and i don't even think that's dy/dx...it's not equal to what bluskies calculated via explicit differentiation...

what am i doing wrong??

I get the same as what you got for dy/dx. You might get some simplification (or at least in a different form) by evaluating cos^2(arctan x).

Draw a right triangle with opp. side equal to x and adjacent side equal to 1. The hypotenuse is sqrt(1 + x^2).
Let u = arctan x, so tan u = x/1. Using this triangle, you can evaluate cos(u) = cos(arctan x) and hence, cos^2(arctan x).

Related to Derivative of a function, then simplifying it

1. What is a derivative of a function?

A derivative of a function is the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It measures how much the output of the function changes when the input is changed by a small amount.

2. How is a derivative of a function calculated?

A derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves finding the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point. It can also be calculated using various derivative rules and formulas for different types of functions.

3. Why is it important to simplify the derivative of a function?

Simplifying the derivative of a function can help make it easier to understand and work with. It also allows for easier identification of patterns and relationships between different functions.

4. Can the derivative of a function be simplified using algebraic rules?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be simplified using algebraic rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow for the simplification of complex derivatives into simpler forms.

5. How is the derivative of a function used in real-life applications?

The derivative of a function has many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate velocity and acceleration, in economics to determine marginal cost and revenue, and in engineering to optimize designs and systems. It is also used in various fields of science to analyze and model data.