1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of an imaginary exponential

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know how to take the derivative of e^((x^2)/i)?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The derivative of eu is eudu

If u = x^2/i, find du. Substitute u and du, and you're done.

- Warren

4. Feb 13, 2006 #3
    Bleh ya, alright, i was hoping there was a shortcut. The actual problem is much nastier, and the u substitution is giong to be hard to apply throughout.

Thanks man!

5. Feb 13, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It isn't a very lengthy procedure.. you just have to find the derivative of u=x^2/i, which should take you only a minute, then plug it into eudu.

Do you need help with the actual problem?

- Warren

6. Feb 13, 2006 #5
    ya actually that would be good, im still getting an imaginary left over in my <p>.

I'm trying to take a expectation value for momentum, the operator is h/i(d/dx) (hbar that is) and the actual thing im taking the derivative of is this

e^(-(ax^2)/(1+2ihat/m)) (all constants except for x) and doing what you just told me i get:

du=(-2am^2x)/(4a^2h^2t^2+m^2)+(4ia^2hmxt)/(4a^2h^2t^2+m^2)

there is also a sqrt(1+2hiat/m) under the exponential, but i want to leave that alone so i can take the intergral of x*(wavefn)^2, (the wavefn^2 i calculated in a different part of the problem, and a constant w came out of it that i need to keep everythign in terms of for this part)

So im left with an i in my expectation value for my momentum, which is wrong :(

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  7. Feb 13, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you taking the derivative of u with respect to x or t or m? I can't see how you got your du.

- Warren

8. Feb 13, 2006 #7
    x, and my calculator did it :D

9. Feb 13, 2006 #8
    it hasent failed me in the past, i can try doing it out by hand though to be sure

10. Feb 13, 2006 #9
    actually, i have no clue why it got all that

11. Feb 13, 2006 #10
    well in any case im still stuck with an imaginary momentum

12. Feb 13, 2006 #11
    apparently <p^2>=a*(hbar)^2 LOL maybe ill try and work towards that, and see what to do, it says itll take a lot of alegbra to get it to that form though!

13. Feb 13, 2006 #12
    still looking like an i is going to follow through, ill just go annoy the gsi (TA) about it, thanks for your help tho

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?