Derivative of e^y: Solving w/ Chain Rule

• Thread starter brambleberry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative of e^y is e^y, and the chain rule should be used to find the derivative with respect to x. The power formula only applies to the variable to a constant power, not a constant power to a variable power.
brambleberry

Homework Statement

What is the derivative of e^y? i think i am differentiating with respect to x

Homework Equations

Derivative of y^x is y^x

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I should use the chain rule or treat it like y^x. When i used the chain rule I got ye^y-1, but then I wondered if it should be e^y.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative with respect to y? Then sure, d/dy(e^y)=e^y. You can't use the power law d/dy(y^n)=n*y^(n-1). In one the variable y is an exponent, in the other it's not. They are very different functions.

brambleberry said:

Homework Statement

What is the derivative of e^y? i think i am differentiating with respect to x

Homework Equations

Derivative of y^x is y^x

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I should use the chain rule or treat it like y^x. When i used the chain rule I got ye^y-1, but then I wondered if it should be e^y.
I don't see what y^x has to do with your original equation. y^x is not anything like e^y and yes, you should use the chain rule. But the chain rule does NOT give "ye^{y-1}"!

The chain rule says that
[tex]\frac{d e^y}{dx}= \frac{de^y}{dy}{dy}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d e^y}{dy}[/tex]
is [itex]e^y[/itex], NOT "[itex]ye^{y-1}[/itex]". That power formula only applies to the variable to a constant power, not a constant power to a variable power.

[tex]\frac{de^y}{dx}= \frac{de^y}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}= e^y\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

FAQ: Derivative of e^y: Solving w/ Chain Rule

1. What is the derivative of e^y?

The derivative of e^y is e^y, also known as the natural logarithm, or ln.

2. How do you solve for the derivative of e^y using the Chain Rule?

To solve for the derivative of e^y using the Chain Rule, you must first rewrite the expression in terms of x. Then, apply the Chain Rule by taking the derivative of the outer function (e^y) and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function (y'). This can be written as d/dx (e^y) = e^y * y'.

3. Can you give an example of solving for the derivative of e^y using the Chain Rule?

Yes, for example, if we have the expression e^2x, we can rewrite it as e^(2x) = (e^2)^x. Then, using the Chain Rule, we get d/dx (e^2x) = e^(2x) * 2 = 2e^(2x).

4. What is the purpose of using the Chain Rule to solve for the derivative of e^y?

The Chain Rule allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions, such as e^y, by breaking them down into simpler functions and applying the derivative rules. It is especially useful when dealing with exponential functions.

5. Are there any other methods for solving for the derivative of e^y?

Yes, there are other methods such as using logarithmic differentiation or using the power rule for derivatives. However, the Chain Rule is the most efficient method for solving for the derivative of e^y.

Back