Derivative of Inverse Solution for f(x) = the third root of (x-8)

In summary, the derivative of the inverse of f(x) = the third root of (x-8) is 3x^2. This can be found by using the formula 1/f'(f^-1(x)) or 1 over its derivative at its inverse, or by using the fact that g'(f(x)) = 1/f'(x). However, in some cases, it may be easier to find the inverse and then differentiate, rather than trying to find the inverse of a more complicated function.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If f(x) = the third root of (x-8), find the derivative of its inverse.

Homework Equations

The derivative of its inverse = 1/f'(f^-1(x)) or 1 over its derivative at its inverse.

The Attempt at a Solution

I followed both the formula to verify my solution and also did some manual work in lieu of the formula. Basically, if g is the inverse of f, then f(g(x)) = x, and so the derivative of both sides is f'(g(x)g'(x) = 1, and since g'(x) is the derivative of the inverse of x, g'(x) = 1/f'(g(x)) and I get 3x^2. I have no idea if that's correct however. Note that g(x) = f^-1'(x); I'm typing g(x) since the latter notation gets messy really quickly when you don't bother to use LATEX. :p.

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1457675_10201005261715465_14857176_n.jpg?oh=9da6ee66e6962843dfa1fcab48d3c201&oe=527B6402

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an easy way to check your work: calculate g(x), calculate the derivative, compare it with your result.

Your final answer is correct but you actually don't need the inverse to find its derivative. There's a simpler way.

We have
$$g(f(x))=x$$
where g(x) is the inverse of f(x).
$$\Rightarrow g'(f(x))\cdot f'(x)=1 \Rightarrow g'(f(x))=\frac{1}{f'(x)}$$

Also,
$$f'(x)=\frac{1}{3(x-8)^{2/3}}=\frac{1}{3f^2(x)}$$
Substituting this
$$g'(f(x))=3f^2(x) \Rightarrow g'(x)=3x^2$$

But in this particular case it is easier to find the inverse and then differentiate!

HallsofIvy said:
But in this particular case it is easier to find the inverse and then differentiate!

Yes, it is. I just wanted to show an alternative approach because it won't be easy to find the inverse always. For example, I recently encountered the following problem:

Let ##\displaystyle f(x)=\int_2^x \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1+t^4}}## and g(x) be the inverse of f(x). Find g'(0).

Do you think it would be easy or even possible to find the inverse?

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes, it is. I just wanted to show an alternative approach because it won't be easy to find the inverse always. For example, I recently encountered the following problem:

Let ##\displaystyle f(x)=\int_2^x \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1+t^4}}## and g(x) be the inverse of f(x). Find g'(0).

Do you think it would be easy or even possible to find the inverse?

Looks like [itex]\sqrt{17}[/itex] to me.

Pranav-Arora said:
##\displaystyle f(x)=\int_2^x \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1+t^4}}##

Could you find a solution to this integral?

What is the derivative of inverse?

The derivative of inverse is the inverse of the derivative. In other words, if you have a function f(x) and its inverse function f^-1(x), the derivative of f^-1(x) is equal to 1/f'(f^-1(x)).

Why is the derivative of inverse important?

The derivative of inverse is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of inverse functions. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems and finding the slope of a tangent line to a curve.

How do you find the derivative of inverse?

To find the derivative of inverse, you first need to find the derivative of the original function. Then, you can use the formula 1/f'(f^-1(x)) to find the derivative of the inverse function. This formula is derived from the chain rule.

Can the derivative of inverse be negative?

Yes, the derivative of inverse can be negative. This means that the inverse function is decreasing at that point. The sign of the derivative of inverse is determined by the original function's concavity at that point.

What is the relationship between the derivative of inverse and the graph of the original function?

The derivative of inverse is closely related to the graph of the original function. The derivative of inverse is equal to 1/f'(f^-1(x)), which means that the slope of the tangent line to the inverse function's graph at a certain point is equal to the reciprocal of the slope of the tangent line to the original function's graph at the corresponding point.