1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Inverse

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1

Qube

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If f(x) = the third root of (x-8), find the derivative of its inverse.

2. Relevant equations

The derivative of its inverse = 1/f'(f^-1(x)) or 1 over its derivative at its inverse.

3. The attempt at a solution

I followed both the formula to verify my solution and also did some manual work in lieu of the formula. Basically, if g is the inverse of f, then f(g(x)) = x, and so the derivative of both sides is f'(g(x)g'(x) = 1, and since g'(x) is the derivative of the inverse of x, g'(x) = 1/f'(g(x)) and I get 3x^2. I have no idea if that's correct however. Note that g(x) = f^-1'(x); I'm typing g(x) since the latter notation gets messy really quickly when you don't bother to use LATEX. :p.

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1457675_10201005261715465_14857176_n.jpg?oh=9da6ee66e6962843dfa1fcab48d3c201&oe=527B6402

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is an easy way to check your work: calculate g(x), calculate the derivative, compare it with your result.

4. Nov 5, 2013 #3
    Your final answer is correct but you actually don't need the inverse to find its derivative. There's a simpler way.

We have
    $$g(f(x))=x$$
    where g(x) is the inverse of f(x).
    $$\Rightarrow g'(f(x))\cdot f'(x)=1 \Rightarrow g'(f(x))=\frac{1}{f'(x)}$$

Also,
    $$f'(x)=\frac{1}{3(x-8)^{2/3}}=\frac{1}{3f^2(x)}$$
    Substituting this
    $$g'(f(x))=3f^2(x) \Rightarrow g'(x)=3x^2$$

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But in this particular case it is easier to find the inverse and then differentiate!

6. Nov 6, 2013 #5
    Yes, it is. I just wanted to show an alternative approach because it won't be easy to find the inverse always. For example, I recently encountered the following problem:

Let ##\displaystyle f(x)=\int_2^x \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1+t^4}}## and g(x) be the inverse of f(x). Find g'(0).

Do you think it would be easy or even possible to find the inverse?

7. Nov 6, 2013 #6
    Looks like [itex]\sqrt{17}[/itex] to me.

8. Nov 19, 2013 #7
    Could you find a solution to this integral?

9. Nov 19, 2013 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted