Derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position help

In summary, the chain rule can be used to differentiate one variable with respect to another if they are related by a derivative.
Keshroom

Homework Statement

Show dT/dx = ma

Homework Equations

T=1/2mv^2
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

dT/dx = d/dx(1/2mv^2)
= mv.dv/dx <--------------i believe you use the chain rule. But can someone explain exactly how to get to this step?
= mv. (dv/dt). (dt/dx)
= m(dx/dt) . a(dt/dx) <-------------can someone please expain how m(dx/dt) = m? and a(dt/dx) = just a?
= ma

Physics news on Phys.org
Keshroom said:
dT/dx = d/dx(1/2mv^2)
= mv.dv/dx <--------------i believe you use the chain rule. But can someone explain exactly how to get to this step?
= mv. (dv/dt). (dt/dx)
In place of dv/dx it is valid to substitute (dv/dt)⋅(dt/dx) because the (dt) terms here would cancel like when simplifying fractions.

=m ⋅ (dx/dt) ⋅ (dv/dt) ⋅ (dt/dx)

One of these 'fractions' is the reciprocal of the other, so they cancel.

All done!
= m(dx/dt) . a(dt/dx) <-------------can someone please expain how m(dx/dt) = m? and a(dt/dx) = just a?
= ma
No need to. :wink:

NascentOxygen said:
In place of dv/dx it is valid to substitute (dv/dt)⋅(dt/dx) because the (dt) terms here would cancel like when simplifying fractions.

=m ⋅ (dx/dt) ⋅ (dv/dt) ⋅ (dt/dx)

One of these 'fractions' is the reciprocal of the other, so they cancel.

Yeah i understand that part, but how exactly do i use the chain rule to get to this step?
dT/dx = d/dx(1/2mv^2) to mv(dv/dx)

To differentiate something with respect to x:
you can instead differentiate it with respect to v
and then multiply the result by (dv/dx).

That's the application of the chain rule.

NascentOxygen said:
To differentiate something with respect to x:
you can instead differentiate it with respect to v
and then multiply the result by (dv/dx).

That's the application of the chain rule.

oooooo right. Makes so much sense now. Thanks heaps :)

I am really concerned when people talk about "canceling" parts of derivatives. It works, of course, but you should keep in mind that this is just a 'mnemonic'. What really is happening is that, going back to before the limit of the "difference quotient", where you really do have fractions, do the cancelling there, then taking the limit. You have to be careful that limits "respect" the fractions.

From [itex]T= (1/2)mv^2[/itex] we have [itex]dT/dx= (1/2)m d(v^2)/dx[/itex] (assuming that m is constant, of course) [itex]= m v dv/dx[/itex]. Now, a slightly more "rigorous" argument would be that since x is itself a function of t, [itex]dv/dt= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)[/itex] (the chain rule). But, of course, [itex]dx/dt= v[/itex] so that says that [itex]dv/dt= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)= (dv/dx)v[/itex] and so [itex]dv/dx= (dv/dt)/v[/itex]. Putting that into the above, [itex]dT/dx= m v (dv/dt/v)= m dv/dt= ma[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
I am really concerned when people talk about "canceling" parts of derivatives.
Hence the quotes. :wink:

It doesn't hurt to remind people, but the fact that it works is usually sufficient justification. :smile:

HallsofIvy said:
I am really concerned when people talk about "canceling" parts of derivatives. ...

I wholeheartedly agree !

HallsofIvy said:
I am really concerned when people talk about "canceling" parts of derivatives. It works, of course, but you should keep in mind that this is just a 'mnemonic'. What really is happening is that, going back to before the limit of the "difference quotient", where you really do have fractions, do the cancelling there, then taking the limit. You have to be careful that limits "respect" the fractions.

From [itex]T= (1/2)mv^2[/itex] we have [itex]dT/dx= (1/2)m d(v^2)/dx[/itex] (assuming that m is constant, of course) [itex]= m v dv/dx[/itex]. Now, a slightly more "rigorous" argument would be that since x is itself a function of t, [itex]dv/dt= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)[/itex] (the chain rule). But, of course, [itex]dx/dt= v[/itex] so that says that [itex]dv/dt= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)= (dv/dx)v[/itex] and so [itex]dv/dx= (dv/dt)/v[/itex]. Putting that into the above, [itex]dT/dx= m v (dv/dt/v)= m dv/dt= ma[/itex]

Thanks heaps HallsofIvy, this is very clear. :D

1. What is the formula for the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position?

The formula for the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position is dK/dx = m(dv/dx), where m is the mass of the object and dv/dx is the derivative of velocity with respect to position.

2. Why is the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position important?

The derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position is important because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of kinetic energy as the position of an object changes. This can help us understand the motion and behavior of objects in various systems.

3. How can the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position be applied in real-world situations?

The derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position can be applied in various real-world situations, such as analyzing the movement of objects in physics and engineering, predicting the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics, and understanding the dynamics of systems in chemistry and biology.

4. Can the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position be negative?

Yes, the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position can be negative. This indicates that the kinetic energy is decreasing as the position of the object increases, which may occur in systems with friction or other opposing forces.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position?

The mass of an object directly affects the derivative of kinetic energy with respect to position. As the mass increases, the derivative also increases, indicating that the rate of change of kinetic energy is higher for heavier objects. This is because the amount of kinetic energy an object possesses is directly proportional to its mass.