Derivative proof (hard, at least for me)

In summary, using the given information and the attempt at a solution, it can be proven that f(x) = 0 for all x in the range [0,c], where c < 1. This can then be extended to the entire x-axis, proving that f(x) = 0 identically.
JG89

Homework Statement

Let f(x) be defined and differentiable on the entire x-axis. Show that if f(0) = 0 and everywhere |f'(x)| <= |f(x)|, then f(x) = 0 identically.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't really know how to get started, but as I worked through the problem, I proved some things that may be helpful.

1) if f(0) = 0, then we have |f'(0)| <= |f(0)| = 0, implying that f'(0) = 0 as well.

2) The derivative is continuous at x = 0. Since f is continuous, particularly at the point x = 0, we have |f(x) - f(0)| < epsilon whenever |x| < delta. The first inequality turns into |f(x)| < epsilon, and we know that |f'(x)| = |f'(x) - f'(0)| <= |f(x)| < epsilon whenever |x| < delta, thus the derivative is continuous at x = 0.

3) By the MVT, there are fixed values a and b such that a < 0 < b and [tex] f'(0) = \frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b-a} [/tex], implying that f(b) = f(a).

I was thinking if I could prove that the derivative is constant, then the rest is trivial. I also tried by assuming a contradiction, that for some c, f(c) > 0, but I couldn't derive a contradiction.

Please only give very small hints, I want to work through most of the question on my own.

Edit: Maybe I should assume for two distinct points that the different of their derivatives is not equal to 0 and try to derive a contradiction. I will be back!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a small but useful hint. First prove f(x)=0 for x in [0,c] where c<1.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. Why is the derivative proof considered difficult?

The derivative proof can be difficult because it requires a deep understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts such as limits, derivatives, and algebraic manipulation. It also involves several steps and can be quite lengthy, making it challenging for some individuals.

3. What are some common techniques used in derivative proofs?

Some common techniques used in derivative proofs include the limit definition of a derivative, the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules and techniques help to simplify the process of finding the derivative of a function.

4. Are there any tips for understanding and mastering derivative proofs?

One tip for understanding and mastering derivative proofs is to practice regularly and become familiar with the various techniques and rules. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus concepts. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps can make the proof easier to understand.

5. How can the derivative proof be applied in real-world situations?

The derivative proof has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, determine the maximum or minimum value of a function, and analyze the behavior of financial markets.