How do I differentiate y=x^(-2/5) using the power rule?

• Thread starter nick850
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: The Power Rule is much simpler than using the limit definition. I'm glad you were able to find it though!In summary, the best method to differentiate the function y = x ^(-2/5) would be to use the Power Rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). However, if you are required to use the limit definition, you can manipulate the expression ((x+h)^(-2/5)-x^(-2/5))/h to remove the negative exponents and simplify the difference quotient. Another approach is to use the Binomial series expansion, which can be useful for solving problems involving limits.
nick850

Homework Statement

Differentiate the function:
y = x ^(-2/5)

Homework Equations

f'(x)lim(x->0) = (f(x+h)-f(x))/h

The Attempt at a Solution

the -2/5 exponent is giving me a hard time so all i have so far is ((x+h)^(-2/5)-x^(-2/5))/h

Physics news on Phys.org
nick850 said:

Homework Statement

y = x ^(-2/5)

Homework Equations

the -2/5 exponent is giving me a hard time so all i have so far is ((x+h)^(-2/5)-x^(-2/5))/h

In one approach, the hint would be to think about the formula for binomial series expansion of (x+h)^(-2/5). This is an infinite series, but in the limit as h goes to zero, you won't need all terms.

If you don't know binomial series yet, now is a good time to learn. It gets used over and over and over in different contexts.

no i don't know what that is. from the looks from it on wikipedia it looks pretty complicated. I'm sure it's a better way of doing it but i guess my question was more on how to algebraically manipulate the equation so that the limit isn't indeterminate (0/0)

[tex](x+h)^{-2/5} =\,^5\sqrt{(x+h)^2}[/tex].

To expand the expression in the root, you don't need to fully use the binomial theorem. Then just bring the h inside the root too, and take the limit.

nick850 said:
no i don't know what that is. from the looks from it on wikipedia it looks pretty complicated. I'm sure it's a better way of doing it but i guess my question was more on how to algebraically manipulate the equation so that the limit isn't indeterminate (0/0)

As I said, if you don't know the Binomial series expansion, then now is the time to learn it. It's just too important to not know it. It's really not that complicated, but it might look bad symbolically, at first.

I don't know if it really is the best method to solve this problem but it does work very quickly in this case. You end up keeping two terms of an infinite series (other terms go to zero with high orders of h). This limiting form basically allows you to do the manipulation you are looking for, and you can easily remove the indeterminate form.

Usually we use L'Hospital's rule in indeterminate cases, but since that involves taking derivatives, you end up with a circular problem where you need to take the derivative of exactly the same form.

Anyway, rather than leave you hanging, I'll reduce the Binomial Series to the end form you would have (with apologies for writing some sloppy math in the interest of motivation). Maybe this will inspire you to bite the bullet and learn it now.

[tex](x+h)^n\approx x^n+nx^{n-1}h[/tex] when h is small.

If you use this on (x+h)^(-2/5) in the expression ((x+h)^(-2/5)-x^(-2/5))/h you will end up with very simple algebra.

When you get the final answer, you should compare it to the well known derivative rule for powers [tex] {{dx^n}\over{dx}}=nx^{n-1}[/tex]. If fact, you may just want to derive this rule directly and then use it to solve your special case.

nick850 said:

Homework Statement

y = x ^(-2/5)

Homework Equations

Are you required to use the limit definition of the derivative in this problem? If not, there's a differentiation rule that would make this much easier.

If you have to use the limit definition, you'll need to continue the work started above. It's helpful to get rid of the negative exponents, so your difference quotient can be written as
[tex]\frac{x^{2/5} - (x + h)^{2/5}}{hx^{2/5}(x + h)^{2/5}}[/tex]

which is equal to
[tex]\frac{(x^2)^{1/5} - ((x + h)^2)^{1/5}}{hx^{2/5}(x + h)^{2/5}}[/tex]

Before continuing, please verify that you do need to use the limit definition of the derivative.

i learned a new trick today which makes it way easier! once again though thank you for your help

The Power Rule? That's why I asked whether you were required to use the limit definition.

1. What is the derivative of y=x^(-2/5)?

The derivative of y=x^(-2/5) is (-2/5)x^(-2/5-1) or (-2/5)x^(-7/5).

2. How do you solve for the derivative of y=x^(-2/5)?

To solve for the derivative of y=x^(-2/5), you can use the power rule for derivatives, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). In this case, n=-2/5, so the derivative is (-2/5)x^(-2/5-1) or (-2/5)x^(-7/5).

3. Can the derivative of y=x^(-2/5) be simplified further?

Yes, the derivative can be simplified further to (-2/5)x^(-7/5). This can be simplified to (-2/5)/x^(7/5) or -2x^(-7/5)/5.

4. How does the power rule apply to negative exponents?

The power rule applies to negative exponents by using the formula nx^(n-1). When n is negative, the exponent is subtracted by 1, resulting in a larger exponent. For example, the derivative of x^(-3) is (-3)x^(-3-1) or (-3)x^(-4).

5. Can the derivative of y=x^(-2/5) be used to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point?

Yes, the derivative of y=x^(-2/5) can be used to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point. The derivative gives the slope of the tangent line at any point on the curve. To find the slope at a specific point, simply plug in the x-value of the point into the derivative equation.