Optimizing Trigonometric Function on Interval

In summary, to find the max/min of the function f(x)= kcos2xsin(x) for the interval (0,pi/2), you will need to use the product rule and chain rule to find the derivative f'(x). Then, set the equation f'(x)= 0 and solve for x. Be sure to consider all possible values of x, including when cos(x)= 0. Rewrite the second factor to only include one trig function of x for easier calculations.
Hockeystar

Homework Statement

Find the max/min of the function for [0,pi/2]

f(x)= kcos2xsin(x)

Homework Equations

Product Rule and chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x)= k(2cosx(-sinx)(sinx)+cos2xcosx)

f'(x)= kcosx(-2sin2x+cos2x)

Set eqaution to 0

(2sin2x+cos(x)2) = 0

2(1-cos2x)+cos(x)2 = 0

cos2x = 2
?
Now I'm stuck. There should be a max or min.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hockeystar said:
f'(x)= kcosx(-2sin2x+cos2x)

Set eqaution to 0

(2sin2x+cos(x)2) = 0

You appear to have made two errors here. You neglected to account for the other factor, that perhaps [tex]\cos x = 0[/tex]. You also seem to have dropped a minus sign; if the second factor is zero, you should have [tex]-2 \sin^2 x + \cos^2 x = 0[/tex].

You may have an easier time with this second factor if you rewrite it so that only one trig function of [tex]x[/tex] appears.

Man I hate when I forget a negative sign. I also scrwed up the interval is supposed to be (0,pi/2) instead of [0,pi/2]. Thank you for pointing that out.

What is a derivative with constant?

A derivative with constant refers to the process of finding the rate of change of a function at a given point, where the function includes a constant term. This constant term does not affect the rate of change and can be ignored when taking the derivative.

Why is the constant term ignored when taking the derivative?

The constant term is ignored because it does not affect the slope or the rate of change of the function. When taking the derivative, we are only interested in the variable terms that contribute to the rate of change at a particular point.

How do I differentiate a function with a constant?

To differentiate a function with a constant, simply treat the constant as a coefficient and use the standard rules of differentiation. For example, if the function is f(x) = x^2 + 3, the derivative would be f'(x) = 2x.

Can a function with a constant have more than one derivative?

Yes, a function with a constant can have multiple derivatives. The first derivative gives the rate of change of the function, the second derivative gives the rate of change of the first derivative, and so on. The constant term remains unchanged in each derivative.

How does a constant term affect the shape of a function?

A constant term affects the vertical position of a function but does not alter its shape. It simply shifts the entire graph up or down depending on the value of the constant. This means that a function with a constant will have the same shape as its derivative.