Derivatives in polar coordinates

In summary, The conversation discusses expressing (dz/dx) in polar coordinates, with the book providing the formula (dz/dx) = (dz/dr)cos(0) - sin(theta)(1/r)(dz/d0). The speaker struggles with evaluating (dr/dx) and (d0/dx), but eventually realizes that r can be represented in terms of x and y, and theta as arctan(y/x). The issue was that theta is a function of x and y, which was not initially taken into account.
JustAChemist
I appologise in the lack of distinction between curly d's and infinitesimals! All derivatives are partial and anything outside of brackets is an infinitesimal.

also, I sincerely apologise for any dodgy terminology, but I am for the most part self taught (regarding calculus) :/

(also, 0 is my poor attempt to represent theta :P)

Homework Statement

More my obsessive compulsiveness when it's really something I'm just supposed to remember, but here goes...

Express (dz/dx) in polar coordinates for some arbitrary z = z(r, 0)

Homework Equations

the answer given by my book (Steiner - The Chemistry Maths Book):

(dz/dx) = (dz/dr)cos(0) - sin(theta)(1/r)(dz/d0)

The Attempt at a Solution

dz = (dz/dr)dr + (dz/d0)d0

(dz/dx) = (dz/dr)(dr/dx) + (dz/d0)(d0/dx)

essentially, my problem is in evaluating (dr/dx) and (d0/dx) (0 is theta)

ATTEMPT AT EVALUATING (dr/dx)

x = r cos(0) => r = x/cos(0)

=> (dr/dx) = 1/cos(0)

which is... wrong :/. I've also tried so much more silly sh*t like implicit differentiation, and inverting dx/dr, always arriving at the same answer ):

ATTEMPT AT EVAUATING (d0/dx)

x = r cos(0) => 0 = arccos(x/r)

and I have no idea how to start evaluating that...
Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated! (:

EDIT:

I am an idiot... after 3 days of ploughing through with this and 10 minutes typing the problem to physicsforums, I just worked out that r can be represented in terms of x and y as sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and theta as arctan(y/x)... the rest writes itself lol :P

I hate my life. :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JustAChemist said:
I appologise in the lack of distinction between curly d's and infinitesimals! All derivatives are partial and anything outside of brackets is an infinitesimal.

also, I sincerely apologise for any dodgy terminology, but I am for the most part self taught (regarding calculus) :/

(also, 0 is my poor attempt to represent theta :P)

Homework Statement

More my obsessive compulsiveness when it's really something I'm just supposed to remember, but here goes...

Express (dz/dx) in polar coordinates for some arbitrary z = z(r, 0)

Homework Equations

the answer given by my book (Steiner - The Chemistry Maths Book):

(dz/dx) = (dz/dr)cos(0) - sin(theta)(1/r)(dz/d0)

The Attempt at a Solution

dz = (dz/dr)dr + (dz/d0)d0

(dz/dx) = (dz/dr)(dr/dx) + (dz/d0)(d0/dx)

essentially, my problem is in evaluating (dr/dx) and (d0/dx) (0 is theta)

ATTEMPT AT EVALUATING (dr/dx)

x = r cos(0) => r = x/cos(0)

=> (dr/dx) = 1/cos(0)

good that you've got it now, and sounds like a much easier method, but just to point out the reason this fell over, is becauser theta is a function of x & y also,
so you must consider 0(x,y) when you take the derivative w.r.t. x

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference line. This is different from the more commonly used Cartesian coordinates, which use x and y coordinates to represent points.

2. How are derivatives calculated in polar coordinates?

The derivative in polar coordinates is calculated using the polar coordinate form of the chain rule. This involves finding the derivative of the polar coordinates with respect to the angle, and then multiplying it by the derivative of the angle with respect to the parameter.

3. What is the relationship between polar and Cartesian derivatives?

Polar and Cartesian derivatives are related by a conversion formula that allows for the conversion of derivatives between the two coordinate systems. This formula involves taking into account the change in angle and distance in the conversion process.

4. How are polar coordinates used in scientific applications?

Polar coordinates are often used in scientific applications involving circular or rotational motion, such as in physics and engineering. They are also used in fields such as astronomy to represent the position of celestial objects.

5. What are some advantages of using polar coordinates over Cartesian coordinates?

One advantage of using polar coordinates is that they can simplify certain calculations, particularly those involving circular or rotational motion. Additionally, polar coordinates can provide a more intuitive representation of certain geometric objects, such as circles and spirals.