Derivatives of functions of products of variables

In summary, derivatives of functions of products of variables are a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function that is a product of two or more variables. The product rule and chain rule can be used to find the derivative of such functions, which is useful in solving problems involving rates of change, optimization, and related rates. These derivatives have many real-world applications, but they are limited to continuous and differentiable functions.
chipotleaway
Is there a general formula for (total) derivatives of functions of the form [itex]f(xy(x)+z(x)[/itex]?

I tried the most simple function of that form [itex]f(xy(x)+z(x))=xy(x)+z(x)[/itex] and the formula I got was [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex] though I'm unsure if it's even close to what I'm after. The formula Mathematica gave is [itex]y\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+x\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:
Is there a general formula for (total) derivatives of functions of the form [itex]f(xy(x)+z(x)[/itex]?
You have a missing right parenthesis here. Do you mean "f(xy(x)+ z(x))"? And do you mean y(x) and z(x) as functions of x rather that y times x and z times x? Assuming that, the usual "chain rule" for functions of several variables applies:
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dx}[/tex]
In this case, writing f' as the derivative of f(u) with respec to u, that becomes
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= f'(xy+ z)y+ f'(xy+ z)x\frac{dy}{dx}+ f'(xy+z)\frac{dz}{dx}[/tex].

I tried the most simple function of that form [itex]f(xy(x)+z(x))=xy(x)+z(x)[/itex] and the formula I got was [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex] though I'm unsure if it's even close to what I'm after.
Well, that's what I wrote before but with f(u)= u, as here, f'= 1 so that is
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= y+ x\frac{dy}{dx}+ \frac{dz}{dx}[/tex].

As a check you can take [tex]y= 2x[/tex] and [tex]z= x^2[/tex]
Then [tex]f(xy+ z)= xy+ z= 2x^2+ x^2= 3x^2[/tex] which has derivative 6x.

In this example, dy/dx= 2 and dz/dx= 2x so the formula above would give
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= y+ x\frac{dy}{dx}+ \frac{dz}{dx}= 2x+ x(2)+ 2x= 6x[/tex]

The formula Mathematica gave is [itex]y\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+x\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex]

Thanks
Yes, that is precisely the formula I gave!

Likes 1 person

Related to Derivatives of functions of products of variables

1. What are derivatives of functions of products of variables?

Derivatives of functions of products of variables are a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function that is a product of two or more variables. They are used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and related rates.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function of products of variables?

To find the derivative of a function of products of variables, you can use the product rule, which states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function. This rule can be extended to functions with more than two variables using the chain rule.

3. What is the purpose of using derivatives of functions of products of variables?

The purpose of using derivatives of functions of products of variables is to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as determining the maximum or minimum value of a function or finding the slope of a curved line.

4. Can derivatives of functions of products of variables be used in real-world applications?

Yes, derivatives of functions of products of variables are used in many real-world applications, such as economics, physics, engineering, and finance. They can help solve problems involving optimization, rates of change, and related rates.

5. Are there any limitations to using derivatives of functions of products of variables?

The main limitation of using derivatives of functions of products of variables is that it can only be applied to continuous functions. This means that the function must be defined and continuous at the point where the derivative is being calculated. Additionally, the function must be differentiable, meaning that it must have a well-defined derivative at that point.