Derivatives of integrals and inverse functions

In summary: So the final answer will be \displaystyle \cos(5x)\frac{d}{dx}\int_{0}^{x} \sin(5t)dt + \frac{d}{dx}\cos(5x)\int_{0}^{x} \sin(5t)dt.In summary, the derivative of f(x)=arccos(5x^3) is -15x^2/\sqrt{1-25x^6}, and the derivative of f(x)=∫cos(5x)sin(5t)dt when the integral is from 0 to x is \cos(5x)\frac{d}{dx}\int_{0}^{x} \sin(
phosgene

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of:

[itex]1. f(x)=arccos(5x^3)[/itex]

[itex]2. f(x)=∫cos(5x)sin(5t)dt[/itex] when the integral is from 0 to x

Homework Equations

Chain rule, dy/dx=dy/du*du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I can just take 5x^3 as u and then apply the chain rule to get

[itex]-15x^2/\sqrt{1-5x^3}[/itex]

but maple TA keeps telling me that it's incorrect...

As for the second one, I'm not sure how to approach something like that when x is actually in the integral, as in the cos(5x). I mean, when I'm applying the chain rule...do I have to include cos in my choice of u?

Physics news on Phys.org
phosgene said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of:

[itex]1. f(x)=arccos(5x^3)[/itex]

[itex]2. f(x)=∫cos(5x)sin(5t)dt[/itex] when the integral is from 0 to x

Homework Equations

Chain rule, dy/dx=dy/du*du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I can just take 5x^3 as u and then apply the chain rule to get

[itex]-15x^2/\sqrt{1-5x^3}[/itex]

but maple TA keeps telling me that it's incorrect...

As for the second one, I'm not sure how to approach something like that when x is actually in the integral, as in the cos(5x). I mean, when I'm applying the chain rule...do I have to include cos in my choice of u?

Check the derivative of arccos again.
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}cos^{-1}x=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

As for the second one, when you have something like this:
[tex]\int_{g(x)}^{h(x)} f(t)dt[/tex]
It's derivative is equal to
[tex]f(g(x)) \cdot g'(x)-f(h(x)) \cdot h'(x)[/tex]

Ah, so the derivative of the first one should be

[itex]-15x^2/\sqrt{1-25x^6}[/itex]?

phosgene said:
Ah, so the derivative of the first one should be

[itex]-15x^2/\sqrt{1-25x^6}[/itex]?

Yep! :smile:

Thanks. But for the second one, does it mean that I can just treat the cos(5x) as a constant? i.e. I only have to multiply by the derivative of x?

I know what to do if I have something like

[itex]d/dx∫cos(5t)sin(5t)dt[/itex], where the integral is from 0 to x. I just differentiate by basically putting the x into the ts to get

[itex]cos(5x)sin(5x)[/itex]

But when the cos5t in the integral becomes cos5x, do I just do this?

[itex]cos(5x)sin(5x)*(d/dx)x=cos(5x)sin(5x)

phosgene said:
Thanks. But for the second one, does it mean that I can just treat the cos(5x) as a constant?
Yep, just take out the cos(5x) from the integral.
You are left with
[tex]f(x)=cos(5x) \int_{0}^{x} sin(5t)dt[/tex]
You can either differentiate by the chain rule or better, solve the integral, put the limits and differentiate.

Great, I finally got it, thanks again :)

phosgene said:
Thanks. But for the second one, does it mean that I can just treat the cos(5x) as a constant? i.e. I only have to multiply by the derivative of x?

I know what to do if I have something like

[itex]d/dx∫cos(5t)sin(5t)dt[/itex], where the integral is from 0 to x. I just differentiate by basically putting the x into the ts to get

[itex]cos(5x)sin(5x)[/itex]

But when the cos5t in the integral becomes cos5x, do I just do this?

[itex]cos(5x)sin(5x)*(d/dx)x=cos(5x)sin(5x)[/itex]

Don't forget, [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x} \sin(5t)dt[/itex] is a function of x, so you have to take that into account when you differentiate [itex]\displaystyle \cos(5x)\int_{0}^{x} \sin(5t)dt\ .[/itex]

1. What is the definition of a derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral is the rate of change of the integral with respect to its variable. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the integral curve at a specific point.

2. How do you find the derivative of an integral?

To find the derivative of an integral, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integrand evaluated at the upper limit of the integral.

3. Can you give an example of finding the derivative of an integral?

Sure, let's say we have the integral ∫cos(x) dx. The derivative of this integral would be sin(x), as per the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. What is the relationship between derivatives of integrals and inverse functions?

The derivative of an integral and the inverse function are related by the chain rule. This means that the derivative of the inverse function of an integral is equal to 1 divided by the derivative of the original integral.

5. Can the derivative of an integral be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the derivative of an integral can be used in many real-world applications, such as calculating rates of change, finding maximum and minimum values, and solving optimization problems.