Derivatives of Rational Powers

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to simplify a problem involving finding the derivative of a given equation. They are advised to factor out the highest power of common terms to simplify the expression, and to avoid skipping steps until they are more familiar with this type of work.
Alexstre
Hello!

I've been solving a few of these problems but I'm stuck on this one, trying to simplify one of the steps.

Homework Statement
Find dy/dx of: y = x(x^2 +1)^1/2

Attempt at a solution
y1 = x (1/2)(x^2 + 1)^-1/2 * (2x) + (x^2 +1)^1/2 * 1

I get the the equation above but I have no clue how to simply it. I check the answer manual and found that the next step should be:
(x^2+1)^-1/2 * (x^2+x^2+1)

With that, I can simplify and solve the problem, I just don't know how to get there from my equation.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A general 'rule' in these types of problems is this: to simplify them, factor out the highest power of common terms.

For an expression like this one

[tex]
(x^2 + 2)^{1/3} (x^2-5x+1)^2 + (x^2 + 2)^{4/3} (x^2 - 5x + 1)
[/tex]

you would factor out

[tex]
(x^2+2)^{1/3} (x^2 - 5x + 1)
[/tex]

from both terms in the sum, and obtain

[tex]
(x^2 + 2)^{1/3} (x^2 - 5x + 1) \left((x^2 - 5x + 1) + (x^2 + 2)^{3/3} \right)
[/tex]

and then proceed to simplify the expression inside the final parentheses.

Look for common factors in the terms of your expression, and use this procedure. It's tempting to skip steps by doing them in your head: don't do this until you're a little
more familiar with this type of work.

1. What are rational powers?

Rational powers are exponents expressed as fractions, where the numerator is the power and the denominator is the root. For example, 21/2 is the square root of 2 and 31/3 is the cube root of 3.

2. How do you differentiate rational powers?

To differentiate rational powers, you can use the power rule, where the derivative of xn is nxn-1. For rational powers, you would also have to use the chain rule to account for the root. For example, the derivative of x1/2 would be 1/2x-1/2 * (1/2x-1/2)' = 1/4x-3/2.

3. Can you simplify derivatives of rational powers?

Yes, derivatives of rational powers can be simplified by using exponent rules. For example, the derivative of x2/3 can be written as (3x1/3)/3 or x-1/3.

4. Are there any special cases for differentiating rational powers?

Yes, when the exponent is -1, the derivative of x-1 would be -1/x2. Additionally, when the exponent is a negative fraction, the derivative would involve taking the negative exponent and applying the chain rule, such as the derivative of x-1/2 being -1/2x-3/2.

5. How can derivatives of rational powers be applied in real-world situations?

Derivatives of rational powers can be used to model and analyze exponential growth and decay. For example, the derivative of x1/2 can be applied to calculate the rate of change of the area of a circle as its radius changes. Additionally, it can be used in finance to calculate compound interest rates.