1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally....

The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the beam, at the point where the maximum bending moment occurs. Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending moment from the measured strain value. State the meaning of all symbols used in your equation.

Could anyone give me any hints on this question? It's the last question i'm stuck on.

Am i right in saying maximum bending moment occurs the strain equals 0?

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally..

No, max strain occurs at point of max stress, at the outer fibers of the point of max moment, where the strain gauge is placed.
    What is the relationship between stress and strain, and what is the relationship between max bending stress and max moment? Note that you need to know the geometric properties of the beam, not just its I value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook