Derive an estimate for the radius of a star

In summary, as the mass of the star increases, the radius will also increase due to the increased gravitational pull and resulting higher density.
leonne

Homework Statement

Consider a star made up of ionized hydrogen.
First, take the electrons to be non-relativistic. If the mass of the star is M, derive
an estimate for the radius R. As the mass increases, how does the radius change

Homework Equations

p~(h2 /Me) n5/3

The Attempt at a Solution

there is a hint saying use "results for the electron gas equations" which is the p~
they got it by P~himejnk than found wht the i j k was in order to get final units in ML-1 T-2 I tried doing the same find finding for R so units would be in L but none of the combination worked.

Any hints on this? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

As the mass of the star increases, the radius will also increase due to the increased gravitational pull. This can be seen from the equation for the radius of a non-relativistic star made up of ionized hydrogen:

R ~ (h^2 / Me)^2/3 * M^(1/3)

As M increases, R will also increase. This can also be seen from the equation for the pressure of an electron gas, which is related to the radius:

P ~ (h^2 / Me) * n^(5/3)

As M increases, the density of the star will also increase (since the mass is increasing but the volume is remaining constant). This means that n will also increase, resulting in a larger pressure and therefore a larger radius.

One way to think about this is that as the mass of the star increases, the gravitational pull also increases, causing the star to compress. This compression leads to a higher density and therefore a larger radius.

1. How do scientists estimate the radius of a star?

Scientists estimate the radius of a star by using a combination of observational data and mathematical models. They gather information about a star's luminosity, temperature, and spectral type, and then use equations based on the laws of physics to calculate its radius.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of estimating a star's radius?

The accuracy of estimating a star's radius can be affected by several factors, including the precision of the observational data, the complexity of the mathematical models used, and the assumptions made about the star's composition and evolution.

3. How does the radius of a star affect its lifespan?

The radius of a star is a key factor in determining its lifespan. Generally, larger stars have shorter lifespans because they burn through their fuel at a faster rate. Smaller stars, like red dwarfs, can have lifespans of trillions of years due to their smaller radius and lower energy output.

4. Can scientists estimate the radius of a star without directly observing it?

Yes, scientists can estimate the radius of a star without directly observing it by using techniques such as parallax measurements, which involve measuring the apparent shift of a star's position over time. They can also use data from binary star systems, where the size and orbital period of the stars can provide information about their radii.

5. How accurate are current estimates of star radii?

Current estimates of star radii are relatively accurate, with the margin of error typically being within a few percentage points. However, as our technology and understanding of stars continue to improve, so will the accuracy of our estimates.