Derive intial velocity using projectile motion components

In summary, the projectile will have an initial velocity of R based on the equation y= yo + vy t - (1/2)gt^2.
raindrop09
Initial Velocity of Projectile
given:
- let theta be: B
-equation for:
(E1)horizontal component is x = vxt; where vx= v0cosB
(E2)vertical component is y= y0 +vyt - (1/2)gt(squared); where vy = v0sinB

using these components an equation of initial velocity{v0} = R{range of projectile}/ square root of (2y/g) is derived

the problem is i can't figure out the steps on how to come up with this particular equation of initial velocity using the given components

knowing that according to galileo "an object projected horizontally will reach the ground in the same time as an object is dropped vertically", i came up with these equations
derived from (E1): t= x/vx (E3)
i then substituted E3 in E2:
y = yo + vy (x/vx) - (1/2)g(x/vx)^2

then, when i plug in the values ( vy = v0sinB, vx= v0cosB), i ended up with this equation:
y = yo + v0sinB (x/v0cosB) - (1/2)g(x/v0cosB)^2

i assumed that yo=o, because it was not found in the final equation (initial velocity eq.):
y= (xv0sinB/v0cosB)- ((gx^2)/2v0^2cos^2B))
2v0^2cos^2B(y= (xv0sinB/v0cosB)- ((gx^2)/2v0^2cos^2))}2v0^2cos^2B
y2v0^2cos^2B= (x2v0cosBv0sinB) - gx^2

i don't know where to go from here...
please help, it will be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You have Vx = Vo*cosθ

You have Vy = Vo*Sinθ

You know that the time to max height is t = Vy/g

So the total flight time ... up and down is 2*Vy/g

The range is given by Vx * Total time.

Substituting for t, you should get Vx*2*Vy/g = Range

thank you :smile:

i also figured out that the equation for
initial velocity{v0} = R{range of projectile}/ square root of (2yo/g)
and i also overlooked that the angle was also given in the problem which is 0 degrees:rolleyes:

steps:
solve for t:
y = yo + vy t - (1/2)gt^2

instead of y0 it should be y=o, so:

0 = yo + vyt - (1/2)gt^2
0= yo + vosin0- (1/2)gt^2
0= yo + (0)- (1/2)gt^2
yo = (1/2)gt^2
2yo = gt^2
2yo / g = t^2
t = square root of (2yo/g)

substitution:
x = vxt
x = vocos0t
x = vocos0(square root of (2yo/g)
x = vo(1)(square root of (2yo/g)
vo= x / (square root of (2yo/g)

x is equal to range:
vo= R / (square root of (2yo/g)

anyways, thank you so much again for the replying.. :biggrin:

You mean you are launching it horizontally from a cliff?

Well that would be different now wouldn't it. My suggestions were taking into account launch and range on a horizontal surface.

Fortunately you are all over that.

Related to Derive intial velocity using projectile motion components

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity using projectile motion components?

The initial velocity can be calculated by using the formula v0 = √(x02 + y02), where x0 and y0 are the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity, respectively. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem.

2. What are the components of projectile motion?

The components of projectile motion are the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the displacement of the object in the horizontal and vertical directions.

3. Can you use projectile motion components to calculate the initial velocity in all cases?

Yes, the initial velocity can be calculated using projectile motion components in all cases as long as the object is experiencing only the force of gravity and there is no air resistance.

4. How does angle of projection affect the initial velocity in projectile motion?

The angle of projection affects the initial velocity in projectile motion by determining the initial horizontal and vertical components of the velocity. The higher the angle, the higher the initial vertical component and the shorter the horizontal component, resulting in a higher initial velocity.

5. Are there any real-life applications of deriving initial velocity using projectile motion components?

Yes, projectile motion is applicable in many real-life scenarios, such as launching a rocket or a ball, throwing a javelin, or shooting a basketball. By deriving the initial velocity using projectile motion components, we can accurately predict the path and distance of the object.