Can You Derive Equations Using UAM Principles?

• Thread starter jensgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deriving
In summary, the conversation discusses deriving equations 5-1 and 5-2 using the UAM equations for a physics course. The equations for range and height are not helpful, so the recommendation is to go back to the standard constant acceleration equations for the x and y directions. The equations for x and y are x = xo + Vxot + 1/2axt^2 and y = yo + Vyot + 1/2ayt^2, with ax = 0. The person is asked to show their work using "*" instead of "x" for times to avoid confusion.
jensgt

Homework Statement

Can you come up with (i.e. derive) equations 5-1 and 5-2 on your own using UAM equations? Try it

Homework Equations

This is the equation I need to end up at...

R=Vox/g(Voy+(Voy^+2gh)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure where to start. I was trying to use the equations for range and height but it does not seem to be getting me anywhere. This is my first physics course.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jensgt! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

don't try to memorise (or use) the range or height equations :wink:, go back to the standard constant acceleration equations, for the x and y directions (separately)

they'll use the same t …

show us what you get :smile:

The equations I know are

Vx = Vox + Axt

X = Xo + Voxt + 1/2axt^2

X-Xo = [(Vox + Vx)/2]t

Vx^2 = Vox^2 +2ax(X-Xo)

I am just confused as to where to start. I derived the other one he asked us about this one has me stuck.

hi jensgt! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
jensgt said:
I am just confused as to where to start.

use x = xo + Vxot + 1/2axt2

and y = yo + Vyot + 1/2ayt2

(obviously, ax = 0) …

show us what you get :smile:

(btw, never use "x" for times, it's too confusing … use "*" instead, or nothing at all! :wink:)

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I am happy to help you with deriving these equations.

To start, let's define the variables used in the equation you provided. R stands for range, which is the horizontal distance traveled by an object. Vox is the initial velocity in the horizontal direction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, Voy is the initial velocity in the vertical direction, and h is the height of the object.

Now, let's take a look at the equations for range and height. The equation for range is R = Vox * t, where t is the time. The equation for height is h = Voy * t - 1/2 * g * t^2.

To derive the equation R = Vox/g * (Voy + (Voy^2 + 2gh)^1/2), we will need to use these two equations and some algebraic manipulation.

First, let's solve the equation for height for t, which gives us t = (Voy + (Voy^2 + 2gh)^1/2) / g. We can then substitute this value of t into the equation for range, which gives us R = Vox * (Voy + (Voy^2 + 2gh)^1/2) / g.

Next, we can simplify this equation by multiplying both sides by g. This gives us gR = Vox * (Voy + (Voy^2 + 2gh)^1/2).

Finally, we can rearrange this equation to get the desired form of R = Vox/g * (Voy + (Voy^2 + 2gh)^1/2).

Similarly, we can derive the equation R = Vox/g * (Voy - (Voy^2 + 2gh)^1/2) by using the equation for height, h = Voy * t - 1/2 * g * t^2, and following the same steps as above.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification on the derivation process. Keep up the good work in your physics course!

Best,

1. What is the process of deriving an equation?

Deriving an equation involves using mathematical principles and relationships to find a new equation that describes a particular phenomenon or system. This process often involves manipulating existing equations, using algebraic techniques, and applying known laws and theories.

2. Why is it important to derive equations?

Deriving equations allows us to better understand the relationships between different variables and make predictions about how they will behave under different conditions. It also allows us to create new models for complex systems and phenomena, which can have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some common techniques used in deriving equations?

Some common techniques used in deriving equations include differentiation, integration, substitution, and simplification. Other techniques may also be used depending on the specific problem and the variables involved.

4. How do you know if your derived equation is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of a derived equation, it is important to compare it to real-world data or results from experiments. If the derived equation accurately predicts the behavior of the system or phenomenon, then it can be considered a valid and accurate representation.

5. Are there any limitations to deriving equations?

While deriving equations can be a powerful tool, there are some limitations to keep in mind. For example, it may not be possible to derive an equation for a complex system with many variables, or the derived equation may only be accurate within a certain range of values. Additionally, the derived equation may not take into account all of the factors that can influence the behavior of a system, so it should always be used with caution and in conjunction with other tools and methods.