Deriving Electric Field Inside and Outside an Infinitely Long Charged Cylinder

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the student attempted to solve a Gaussian surface inside and outside of a charged cylinder, but was unable to do so correctly.
wolski888
Not sure if this is advanced. Highly doubt it but oh well

1. Homework Statement
Consider an infinitely long charged cylinder of radius R, carrying a charge whose density varies with radius as ρ(r) = ρo r. Derive expressions for the electric field (a) inside the cylinder (i.e. r<R), and (b) outside the cylinder (i.e. r>R).

2. Homework Equations
Gauss's Law
q=ρ δτ

3. The Attempt at a Solution
(a) E inside cylinder
I sketched a Gaussian surface inside of the cylinder.
I believe that E is parallel to ds ( E⃗ ||ds⃗ )
So, gauss's law becomes E∮ds = q/ϵ for the side

I believe the integral of ds is 2π r L (L being the length of the cylinder even though it is infinite.
And q = ρo r π r2 L
derived from q=ρ δτ

So we have E (2π r L) = ρo r π r2 L /ϵ
Simplifying to E = ρo r2/ 2ϵ

Is this correct for (a)?
And for (b) would it be the same idea but with a gaussian surface outside of R?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit difficult to read your notation. Consider using Latex for your equations.

(For example: [itex]q = \int \rho dv[/itex].)

Show again how you integrated to find the total charge within your gaussian surface.

wolski888 said:
Not sure if this is advanced. Highly doubt it but oh well

1. Homework Statement
Consider an infinitely long charged cylinder of radius R, carrying a charge whose density varies with radius as ρ(r) = ρo r. Derive expressions for the electric field (a) inside the cylinder (i.e. r<R), and (b) outside the cylinder (i.e. r>R).

2. Homework Equations
Gauss's Law
q=ρ δτ

3. The Attempt at a Solution
(a) E inside cylinder
I sketched a Gaussian surface inside of the cylinder.
I believe that E is parallel to ds ( E⃗ ||ds⃗ )
So, gauss's law becomes E∮ds = q/ϵ for the side

I believe the integral of ds is 2π r L (L being the length of the cylinder even though it is infinite.
And q = ρo r π r2 L
derived from q=ρ δτ

So we have E (2π r L) = ρo r π r2 L /ϵ
Simplifying to E = ρo r2/ 2ϵ
So close! :cry: But as Doc Al says, it's kind of hard to understand your notation. By "r2" do you mean r2? If so, try the final simplification once more. I think you forgot to cancel something out.
And for (b) would it be the same idea but with a gaussian surface outside of R?
Yes. The trick is to just be careful about determining q. When outside the cylinder, is the total charge q within the Gaussian surface a function of r or a function of R?

Yes I meant r squared. The thing is when i reposted this problem the pasting messed up a couple of things.

wolski888 said:
Yes I meant r squared. The thing is when i reposted this problem the pasting messed up a couple of things.
Right. I think I figured that out when I looked at the other thread. Check that thread. I left a hint for you there.

Related to Deriving Electric Field Inside and Outside an Infinitely Long Charged Cylinder

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the net electric charge enclosed by that surface.

Who discovered Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law was first discovered by the German mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss in the early 19th century.

How is Gauss's Law applied in real life?

Gauss's Law has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the design of electrical circuits and devices, electromagnetic shielding, and the calculation of electric fields in different systems.

What is the mathematical formula for Gauss's Law?

The mathematical formula for Gauss's Law is ∮S E · dA = Qenc / ε0, where ∮S E · dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface, Qenc is the net charge enclosed by the surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

How does Gauss's Law relate to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss's Law is closely related to Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two point charges. Gauss's Law can be derived from Coulomb's Law and is a more general and powerful tool for calculating electric fields in various situations.