Deriving F(x) from f(x*f(x^2)) with Given Conditions

• MHB
  • Thread starter Umar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the function F is a function of x that has the following properties: -f(4) = 6-f'(4) = 1-f'(12) = 3.
Umar
F = f(x*f(x^2)), such that  f (4) = 6,  f '(4) = 1, and  f '(12) = 3. Find F '(2)

I know the format looks weird, but that's exactly how the function was written, which is why I'm not sure how to proceed with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
What ideas you have about how to do this problem? Or, do some rules of derivatives look promising?

Theia said:
What ideas you have about how to do this problem? Or, do some rules of derivatives look promising?

I was thinking of doing the product rule, but I just don't understand the xf(x^2) part of it. Now I'm also thinking the chain rule would be a better option actually. I'm just not sure how you would differentiate the x...

Yes, you'll need the product rule and the chain rule. ^^ The innerfunction is simply a function - and you need to use the chain rule again here.

For example if we have:

\(\displaystyle g = x(x - 1)^2\),

we obtain

\(\displaystyle g' = (x - 1)^2 + x \cdot 2 (x-1)^1 \cdot 1 = \cdots\).

Can you follow the procedure in your problem?

Theia said:
Yes, you'll need the product rule and the chain rule. ^^ The innerfunction is simply a function - and you need to use the chain rule again here.

For example if we have:

\(\displaystyle g = x(x - 1)^2\),

we obtain

\(\displaystyle g' = (x - 1)^2 + x \cdot 2 (x-1)^1 \cdot 1 = \cdots\).

Can you follow the procedure in your problem?

Yes I have tried but I just can't seem to work it out.

We are given:

\(\displaystyle F(x)=f\left(xf\left(x^2\right)\right)\)

Using the chain and product rules, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle F'(x)=f'\left(xf\left(x^2\right)\right)\left(xf'\left(x^2\right)(2x)+1\cdot f\left(x^2\right)\right)\)

Simplify:

\(\displaystyle F'(x)=f'\left(xf\left(x^2\right)\right)\left(2x^2f'\left(x^2\right)+f\left(x^2\right)\right)\)

What do you get when you let $x=2$?

It's alright, I ended up getting the answer, but thank you for outlining the process :)

Related to Deriving F(x) from f(x*f(x^2)) with Given Conditions

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is often interpreted as the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function.

2. Why is finding derivatives important?

Derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze the behavior of functions and solve problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They also help us find critical points, determine maximum and minimum values, and understand the shape of a graph.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The process of finding the derivative of a function involves using specific rules and formulas depending on the type of function. The most common method is using the power rule, which states that the derivative of a variable raised to a constant power is equal to that constant multiplied by the variable raised to the power minus one.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and a differential?

A derivative is a function that represents the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a function, while a differential is an infinitesimal change in the value of a function. In other words, the derivative represents the rate of change of the function, while the differential represents the actual change in the function.

5. Can you find the derivative of any function?

In general, yes, the derivative of a function can be found. However, there are some functions that may not have a derivative, such as those with sharp corners or discontinuities. These are known as non-differentiable functions.