Describe All the solutions to: AX=0 (Square Matrices, A≠0)

• Thread starter Swimmingly!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
BX_{1}=X_{2} (B has no inverse).In summary, the solutions to the equation AX=0, where A and X are square matrices and A≠0, can be described as X=0, k*X_{i}, ƩX_{i}, BX, or BX_{1}=X_{2}, where B is a matrix that satisfies the condition AB=BA. There is also a possibility of a mother matrix from which these solutions can be derived. However, further proof is needed to confirm this claim. It is also important to note that if X_{i}≠0, the inverse of A does not exist.
Swimmingly!

Homework Statement

A and X are square matrices. A≠0

Describe all solutions to:
AX=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

X[itex]_{i}[/itex] is some solution.
Solutions:
  • X=0
  • k*X[itex]_{i}[/itex]
  • ƩX[itex]_{i}[/itex]

Looking for other solutions:
Let there be B: AB=BA
AX=0 ⇔ BAX=B0 ⇔ ABX=0

New solution: BX

So maybe all solutions are describable as:
BX=0, AB=BA

But this needs proof! (and may allow for further refining of the solution)

Other info:
If there exists X[itex]_{i}[/itex]≠0 => A[itex]^{-1}[/itex] doesn't exist. (X=A[itex]^{-1}[/itex]0=0 False)

BX[itex]_{1}[/itex]=X[itex]_{2}[/itex] ⇔ X[itex]_{1}[/itex]=B[itex]^{-1}[/itex]X[itex]_{2}[/itex]
What if B has no inverse? Then you've got to state your solution with X[itex]_{2}[/itex]. But this may keep up, so is there any mother matrix from which these sprout? I think I found B without inverse.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conclusion:All solutions to AX=0 are describable as:X=0, k*X_{i}, ƩX_{i}, BX, BX_{1}=X_{2} (B has inverse)

1. What does AX=0 mean in the context of square matrices?

AX=0 means that when a square matrix A is multiplied by a vector X, the resulting vector is a zero vector. This is also known as the homogeneous system of equations.

2. How many solutions can a square matrix have for AX=0?

A square matrix can have infinitely many solutions for AX=0. This is because any scalar multiple of the solutions will also satisfy the equation.

3. Can a square matrix have no solutions for AX=0?

Yes, a square matrix can have no solutions for AX=0. This occurs when the matrix A is non-invertible or singular.

4. How can the solutions for AX=0 be represented geometrically?

The solutions for AX=0 can be represented geometrically as the intersection of the null space of A and the origin in the vector space. This is because the null space contains all the vectors that satisfy the equation AX=0.

5. How can the solutions for AX=0 be calculated?

The solutions for AX=0 can be calculated by finding the null space of the matrix A using techniques such as row reduction or the null space algorithm. The null space will contain the basis vectors for the solutions, which can then be used to represent all possible solutions.