Integrating the Region of a Ball Cut by a Cylinder | Finding Limits for x, y, z

• Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limits of integration for x, y, and z for the region of a ball cut by a cylinder. The conversation also includes a link to a 2-D ellipse graph to help with visualization. The six inequalities provided correctly describe the region of integration, and it is suggested to set up a triple integral for further practice.
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

I have to describe by finding the limits of integrations for x,y,z

the region of the ball
[tex]x^2 + y^2 +z^2 \le 4[/tex] cut by [tex]2x^2+z^2=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so I can visualize these without much trouble and I used grapher so I have a working model.

I also put in the y=0 plane because I figure "slicing" the cylinder with y_{0} is the way to go.

so [tex] -\sqrt{4-x^2-z^2} \le y \le \sqrt{4-x^2-z^2}[/tex]

then I can look at the y=0 plane to see the 2-D ellipse, here's a link

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+x^2+++z^2/2+=1/2

now if I "slice" vertically [tex] -1 \le z \le 1[/tex] and find the change of x

so [tex] -\sqrt{\frac{1-z^2}{2}} \le x \le \sqrt{\frac{1-z^2}{2}} [/tex]

is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The six inequalities you derived do indeed correctly describe the region of integration.

I agree with slider42 that your limits are correct, but I wouldn't consider the problem finished until you set up a triple integral (assuming you are calculating a volume) showing the order of integration with proper limits on each integral.

yes I agree, question only asked for that but more practice is always better. I'll come back to this problem

1. What is the process for describing a given region?

The process for describing a given region involves collecting data and information about the physical and human characteristics of the area. This can include factors such as climate, topography, population, culture, and economic activities. The data is then organized and analyzed to create a comprehensive description of the region.

2. What are the most important factors to consider when describing a given region?

The most important factors to consider when describing a given region depend on the purpose of the description. However, some common factors include location, climate, natural resources, population demographics, economic activities, and cultural characteristics. It is also important to consider the historical and political context of the region.

3. How do you gather data for describing a given region?

Data for describing a given region can be gathered through various methods such as field observations, surveys, interviews, satellite imagery, and statistical data from government agencies. It is important to use a combination of primary and secondary sources to ensure accuracy and reliability of the data.

4. How does describing a given region contribute to scientific research?

Describing a given region contributes to scientific research by providing a better understanding of the complex interactions between physical and human systems. This information can be used to identify patterns, make predictions, and inform decision-making processes. It also helps to fill gaps in knowledge and can lead to further research and discoveries.

5. Can the description of a given region change over time?

Yes, the description of a given region can change over time as the region itself may undergo physical, social, or economic changes. Additionally, as technology and research methods advance, our understanding of the region may also change. It is important to continuously update and review the description of a given region to reflect any changes and maintain accuracy.