Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Description of a quotient map

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    I am reading munkres topolgy and I am struggling with understanding the following sentence:

"We say that a subset C of X is saturated (with respect to the surjective map p:X→Y) if C contains every set p-1({y}) that it intersects"

if you have the second edition its in chapter 2 section 22 (page 137)

It's not that I have questions on it I just cant seem to make heads or tails of that sentence.

any help would be appreciated

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2
    All it means is that if C intersect p-1({y}) is nonempty, then C actually contains all of p-1({y}). So if C is saturated and p-1({y}) has say, two elements, it is not possible that only one of those elements is in C.

This is equivalent to "C is a saturated subset of X if C is the preimage of some subset of Y".

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3
    thanks

do we make any demands on the subset of Y, need it be open, closed... or will any subset do?

5. Apr 13, 2014 #4
    Any subset will do.

6. Apr 13, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Another equivalent form is that ##C## is saturated if and only if ##C=p^{-1}(p(C))##. So the exact form of the subset of ##Y## is ##p(C)##.

That said, I prefer dealing with quotient mappings in terms of equivalence relations. Thus a quotient map ##p:X\rightarrow Y## induces a equivalence relation on ##X## given by ##x\sim x^\prime## if and only iff ##p(x) = p(x^\prime)##. The set of all equivalence classes can then be identified wuth ##Y##.

In that form, we can give new equivalent forms of saturated sets. One such form is to say that a set ##C## is saturated iff it is the union of equivalence classes. Another form is to say that ##C## is saturated if for any ##x\in C## and ##y\in C## such that ##x\sim y## holds that ##y\in C##.

All of these forms are easily seen to be equivalent, but sometimes one equivalent form might give more insight than another one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook