Description of how to solve six middle school geometry problems

In summary, the first problem asks you to find the Pythagoras' theorem for a right triangle. The next problem asks for the diameter of a circle that is centered at a given point, and the third problem asks for the difference of two squares. The last problem asks you to find the value for a given square.
Mark Powell
My daughter needs some math assistance that I am not able to help her on. I would like someone who is experienced in middle school math (12-14 year olds) and who can explain how to go about each of these problems. The actual test is in 12 hours and will have different problems. But these six have been given as practice ones. I need to find her some help quickly. I do not want just the answers; I would really need the explanation of the answers.

If you can offer feedback on only a couple, that would be greatly appreciated too!

www.wordscapes.com/emmy/math/geometry2.png

Thanks!

Mark

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Mark Powell, welcome to MHB!:)

For the first problem, the only formula that you required to use to achieve to the result is the Pythagoras' theorem, where it states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

View attachment 2610

First, join $BG$ and since $CB$ is a tangent at $B$, we know $AB$ and $CB$ are perpendicular. Thus, we have one right triangle $ABC$.

Next, we're told that $AB$ is the diameter of the circle centered at $O$, so, $\angle AGB=90^{\circ}$. We can tell also $\angle BGC=90^{\circ}$ by the supplementary angle theorem. Therefore both $BGA$ and $BCG$ are right triangles.

Triangle $AGB$:Triangle $BGC$:Triangle $ABC$:
Now, we apply the Pythagoras' theorem to the right triangle $AGB$ and note that $AB=2\text{radius}=2(6)=12$, we have:Again, reapply the Pythagoras' theorem to the right triangle $BGC$, we have:So Pythagoras' theorem tells us for the third time that:
$AG^2+BG^2=AB^2$

$8^2+BG^2=12^2$ this gives

$BG^2=80$
$BG^2+CG^2=BC^2$

Remember that our aim is to find the value for $BC$ and we don't have the value for $CG$ yet, so we need to look for it by considering the right triangle $ABC$.
$AB^2+BC^2=AC^2$

$12^2+BC^2=(AG+CG)^2$ $(AC=AG+CG)$

$12^2+BC^2=(8+CG)^2$ $(AG=8)$

By expanding the equation, we get:

$12^2+BC^2=64+18CG+CG^2$

$12^2+(BC^2-CG^2)=64+18CG$(*)
Up to this point, we need to be aware of what we have already found, e.g. from $BG^2+CG^2=BC^2$ and $BG^2=80$, the difference for $BC^2$ and $CG^2$ is $BC^2-CG^2=BG^2=80$

If we replace it into the equation (*), we get:

$12^2+80=64+18CG$

Solve this equation for $CG$ we see that

$\dfrac{12^2+80-64}{18}=CG$

$CG=10$

The last step would be to substitute the values for $CG=10$ and $BG^2=80$ into the equation $BG^2+CG^2=BC^2$, we find that $BC^2=80+10^2=180=36(5)$, therefore $BC=6\sqrt{5}$.

Attachments

• Q1.JPG
    Q1.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 43

1. How do I approach solving geometry problems?

The first step in solving any geometry problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the given information and any known formulas that can be applied. Next, draw a diagram and label all known and unknown quantities. Finally, use the appropriate formula or method to solve for the unknown quantity.

2. What are some common formulas used to solve geometry problems?

Some common formulas used in geometry problems include the Pythagorean Theorem, the area and perimeter formulas for different shapes, and the formula for calculating volume or surface area of 3D shapes. It is important to have a good understanding of these formulas in order to solve geometry problems accurately.

3. How can I check my answers when solving geometry problems?

One way to check your answers is to plug your solution back into the original problem and see if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your calculations. Another method is to solve the problem using a different approach to see if you get the same result.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a geometry problem?

If you are stuck on a geometry problem, take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, simpler parts and solving each part individually. Another option is to seek help from a teacher or tutor who can guide you through the problem step by step.

5. How can I improve my geometry problem-solving skills?

Regular practice is key to improving your geometry problem-solving skills. Make sure to review and understand the fundamental concepts and formulas, and then challenge yourself with a variety of problems. You can also learn from your mistakes and seek feedback from others to identify areas for improvement.