Design an Ammeter - Know How to Measure Current

In summary: See the second illustration in (inverting amplifier) In summary, a photodiode is a current source, not a voltage source, and the output from the circuit is a voltage. You measure that voltage with an opamp.
cks
Hihi,

I put a photodiode's legs to both the input for a differential amplifier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Op-Amp_Differential_Amplifier.svg

Then, the voltage difference of the photodiode is amplified and its output is then connected to a resistor which is not shown in the above picture. The purpose I put a resistor is to convert the voltage output to current. Then, I connect in series of the output from the resistor to an ammeter to obtain the current. After which, the other end of ammeter is connected to ground.

May I ask, If I put one end of the ammeter to the ground and the other end to the resistor, will the system works, because from my high school knowledge of electric circuit, current flows only when a closed loop is formed, but I didn't see any closed loop here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cks said:
Hihi,

I put a photodiode's legs to both the input for a differential amplifier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Op-Amp_Differential_Amplifier.svg

Then, the voltage difference of the photodiode is amplified and its output is then connected to a resistor which is not shown in the above picture. The purpose I put a resistor is to convert the voltage output to current. Then, I connect in series of the output from the resistor to an ammeter to obtain the current. After which, the other end of ammeter is connected to ground.

May I ask, If I put one end of the ammeter to the ground and the other end to the resistor, will the system works, because from my high school knowledge of electric circuit, current flows only when a closed loop is formed, but I didn't see any closed loop here.

The photodiode is basically a current source, not a voltage source. The light that hits it generates a reverse photocurrent, which you amplify with a current-to-voltage converter circuit. The output of that circuit is a voltage, so you measure that with a voltmeter:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...bnw=126&prev=/images?q=photodiode&gbv=2&hl=en

Often, the photodiode is put in series with a battery (photoconductive mode) and the current measured with an opamp in the current-measuring mode. For a solid state photodiode, the reverse bias is a few volts. For example, the negative end of a battery is connected to ground, and the positive end connected to the cathode of the photodiode 9reverse biased). The anode is connected to the op-amp inverting input, and the positive input of opamp tied to ground (inverting configuration). See second illustration in (inverting amplifier)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operat...ations#Negative_impedance_converter_.28NIC.29
Photodiode replaces Rin resistor. Choose Rf resistor so that the expected photodiode current produces about 1 volt drop across it.
If you are using a vacuum photodiode (e.g., 935), the bias is usually 50 to 100 volts (or more), and the anode is tied to the + end of battery, and the cathode (light sensitive electrode) tied to the op amp inverting input.

Related to Design an Ammeter - Know How to Measure Current

1. How does an ammeter measure current?

An ammeter measures current by using a shunt resistor, which is connected in parallel with the ammeter. The current passes through the shunt resistor and creates a voltage drop, which is then measured by the ammeter. The ammeter is calibrated to convert this voltage reading into a current measurement.

2. What is the difference between an analog and a digital ammeter?

An analog ammeter uses a moving needle to display the current measurement on a scale, while a digital ammeter displays the measurement in numbers on a digital screen. Analog ammeters are more prone to error and require manual reading, while digital ammeters are more accurate and easier to read.

3. What factors should be considered when designing an ammeter?

When designing an ammeter, factors such as range, accuracy, resolution, and safety must be taken into account. The range refers to the maximum and minimum currents that the ammeter can measure, while accuracy refers to how closely the measured values match the actual values. Resolution refers to the smallest change in current that the ammeter can detect, and safety measures include using appropriate insulation and fuses to protect against overload.

4. How can an ammeter be made more accurate?

An ammeter can be made more accurate by using high-quality components and ensuring proper calibration. It is also important to minimize the resistance of the shunt resistor and reduce the effects of external magnetic fields on the ammeter's readings.

5. Can an ammeter measure both AC and DC currents?

Some ammeters are designed to measure only AC or DC currents, while others are capable of measuring both. To measure AC currents, the ammeter must have a rectifier circuit that converts the AC current into DC. It is important to check the specifications of the ammeter to determine if it can measure both AC and DC currents.