Design Engineer

• Thread starter koolraj09
  • Start date
Hi guys.
I am doing a post grad course in Mechanical Design. I haven't had any industrial experience till now.
Having said that I want to know the role of design engineer in an industry. What his job etc..
Also what are the critical skills required by the design engineer so that he can perform well?

our role is to develop solutions for our clients and improve on existing systems.
Sometimes you have to design from absolutely nothing and sometimes we just put together off-the-shelf items to solve a problem. The design engineers is usually involved throughout development: the first step in solving any design problem is determining what the problem really is.
Necessary skills- creativity, drawing, good organising, some team management, and more. I an a technologist so i even manufacture all the stuff i design unless it can't be done in house, the engineers usuall just produce a drawing and hand it to an artisan then they take part when changes should be made.
There's more to it, what you actually do will depend on the industry and company you're in.