Design of a turbine flowmeter to measure beer

In summary: The point of all of this is that while the design of your turbine flow meter is important, it's just one part of the overall equation. Make sure you account for everything else when designing and installing your meter, to make sure it's accurate and reliable.In summary, you have been given a project to improve the design of a turbine used to measure the flow of beer. You have been looking for help online and came across a book on turbine meters. The book listed a few things you may want to consider when designing and installing your flow meter, such as increasing impeller width, milling blade tips, and not using compressed air. You also mentioned that the design of your flow meter is important, but
jolyont
I've been given a project to improve the design of a turbine used to measure the flow of beer! I've trawled the web and libraries to find previous work in the hope of finding some handy pointers, rules of thumb and simple equations to guide me. However, I've had little joy.

Basic parameters are:
- flow rate range: 5 to 60 seconds per pint (0.56812 litres)
- inner diameter of bore = 8.9mm

The design variables that I've got to play with include:
- blade angle (should I go for high or low angle of attack to improve response at low speeds?)
- hub diamater
- tip clearance
- shape of leading and trailing profile of the hub (hemisphere on the front? flat on the back? what effect does the wake profile have?)

If you can point in the right directions then that would be great! e.g. journal articles, textbooks, web resources etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have to use a turbine-style measuring device? Turbines work by removing energy from the working fluid, either by a change in pressure (Reaction), or by fluid momentum (Impulse). In either way, I'd be concerned about "flattening" the beer (OH GOD NOOO!), either through cavitation or simply by "splashing".

A quick google gave me this link:
http://www.flowmeters.co.uk/turbine_meters.htm

They use a Pelton-style (Impulse) turbine to measure. For maximum power extraction, Pelton wheels are designed such that the cups move at 1/2 the jet velocity. For an application like this, I would think that the wheels would move closer to the jet velocity in order to minimize power extraction and pressure loss.

Calibration will be key.

I've seen these pelton wheels before and they're great for lots of torque at low flow rates. However, it has to be a turbine. I'm told that these pelton wheels make bad yeast traps which are hard to clean and it makes the beer taste bad.

Turbine flow meters are the way to go if you need fast response. They are a bit cumbersome and temperamental in a few ways.

First off, what do you think needs improving over the current design? We use these flow meters a lot and they are pretty tried and true. You need to better define what your end need really is other than "make it better." Make it better HOW?

The thing is that you can make a pretty good flow meter easily. The tough part comes in minimizing the drop across it and making the turbine stable. Usually they a bearing mounted and have a very tight tip clearance (obviously leakage past the tips is a no no unless accounted for in calibration).

What kind of pick up are you planning on?

The only other thing I am thinking is that technically, beer is two phase flow. You may want to do some research on measuring two phase flow with turbine meters. I have never had to do that.

For the leakage part, perhaps you could shroud the turbine and use some sort of axial magnetic seal.

Hi All,
To help things, I've attached a photograph of an example rotor, and the sort of response that can be seen. My mission (which I have decided to accept) is to flatten out the response characteristic i.e. reduce the low speed roll-off, and beware of the high speed roll-off.

What I really want from you good people, are
> pointers to good reference material.
> recommendations onto the ideal profiles for the front and rear of the hub.
> mistakes to avoid

Thanks for the tip on two-phase flow. Bubble break-out is something we have to keep an eye on!

Attachments

• rotor graph.png
    rotor graph.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 419
  • example rotor.jpg
    example rotor.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 460
The pick-up is optical. So, I'm not too worried about the pick-up slowing down the rotor! (unless we use a 1TW laser, of course!).

Start here:

http://www.sensors-research.com/articles/turbines.htm

http://www.flowmeterdirectory.com/flowmeter_turbine.html

As far as the hub design, that is going to be for a CFD guy to tackle. I would think anything streamlined would be fine. Just no blunt bodies.

Turbine flowmeters rely on one very important thing for their accuracy: proper installation design. You need to have at least 10D upstream and downstream of the meter to make sure you have fully developed flow through the meter.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is not not turn them using compressed air. They use the fluid flowing through them to cool and lubricate the bearings.

A google book search turned up:
http://books.google.com/books?id=pw...resnum=2&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

It (page 262 if link didn't work properly) listed a few things that while directly applicable to centrifugal pumps, may give you some places to start:

- Increasing impeller width flattens the curve
- Decreasing the number of vanes steepens the curve and moves peak efficiency down and to the right
- Milling the blade tips can also flatten the curve

What is a turbine flowmeter and how does it work?

A turbine flowmeter is a type of flow sensor that uses a turbine rotor to measure the flow rate of a fluid, in this case, beer. The rotor is placed in the path of the fluid, and as the fluid flows through the meter, it causes the rotor to rotate. The rotation of the rotor is directly proportional to the flow rate of the fluid, allowing for accurate measurement.

Why is a turbine flowmeter a good choice for measuring beer?

Turbine flowmeters are a good choice for measuring beer because they are highly accurate and can handle a wide range of flow rates. Additionally, they are not affected by the density or viscosity of the beer, making them suitable for measuring different types of beer. They are also compact and easy to install, making them a convenient choice for breweries.

What factors should be considered when designing a turbine flowmeter for beer?

When designing a turbine flowmeter for beer, factors such as the fluid properties (viscosity, density, temperature), flow rate range, and accuracy requirements should be considered. The material of the meter should also be chosen carefully to ensure compatibility with the beer and to avoid any contamination. The environment in which the meter will be used and the available space should also be taken into account.

How can the accuracy of a turbine flowmeter for beer be ensured?

To ensure the accuracy of a turbine flowmeter for beer, it is important to calibrate the meter regularly. This involves comparing the meter's readings to a known standard and making any necessary adjustments. It is also important to properly install and maintain the meter, as well as to choose a model that is suitable for the specific beer being measured.

Are there any limitations or challenges when using a turbine flowmeter to measure beer?

While turbine flowmeters are generally accurate and reliable for measuring beer, there are some limitations and challenges to consider. For example, the presence of foam or air bubbles in the beer can affect the accuracy of the readings, so the meter may need to be installed in a way that minimizes these factors. Additionally, if the beer contains solid particles or debris, this can also affect the performance of the meter.