Design v/s Production/Manufacturing

• Thread starter Monsterboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, there is a perception that production/manufacturing engineers earn less than design engineers, but this is not always true. While salaries for manufacturing engineers may be slightly lower, it is not a significant difference. Furthermore, the satisfaction and enjoyment of the job should not be overlooked in favor of a higher salary. Manufacturing engineering offers a dynamic and varied work experience, with the added bonus of working with exciting technology. However, there may be a reason for the lower salaries, such as the field not being considered as glamorous and often being subordinate to production management. This can result in lower quality of talent in the field and even undeserving individuals being promoted to higher positions.
Monsterboy
This is about mechanical engineering
I was told that production/manufacturing engineers earn a lot less than Design engineers, is it true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't believe everything you hear, unless it's on paper.

SteamKing said:
Don't believe everything you hear, unless it's on paper.

A practicing engineer told me this ,i just wanted to verify

I've heard the same thing, but I don't give it much credence. I am a manufacturing engineer myself, and I have done both manufacturing support and product design. I earned more in product design, but that was because I was more experienced and more skilled when I did that.

Likes 1 person
Generally, salaries for engineers in the manufacturing areas are less than those working in design functions. But not "a lot less". There are all of those generic salary surveys on the web to back this up, find them.

A little hint, though: it ain't all about the money. THAT is a fool's game. I've worked in a design function twice early in my career and utterly hated it. For me, it was boring, tedious, heinous work, working "in a box full of testosterone junkies". But I have friends who LOVE that kind of work.

I migrated to the manufacturing engineering side of things and never looked back. I would say that I've chased the skills and topics that interested me the most and now it is quite satisfying, both in content, challenge, and salary. For me, manufacturing engineering is more dynamic, has more variety, and you get to play with the coolest toys. I enjoy it a lot more, and that enjoyment is very much worth the few thousand dollars in salary difference.

For my 30+ year career I have wondered why salaries are less (here in the US). I suspect that it is because manufacturing is not considered a glamorous field. My experience is that manufacturing engineering is a subordinate function to Production Management (getting the parts out the door) and most Production Managers are flaming idiots. So people get disgusted, leave the field, and it becomes populated by 3rd-rate talent. Then also there is the Corporate Management philosophy of slapping an "engineering" title on anybody. I once worked for a guy who had NEVER set foot on a college campus, but he had the title of "Advanced Manufacturing Engineering Manager". He wasn't cut out for the job, was over-promoted, fought desperately to maintain his undeserved position & title, and effectively destroyed the company from the inside-out. This happens very often in this field.

IMHO.

Likes 1 person

What is the difference between design and production/manufacturing?

Design is the process of creating a blueprint or plan for a product, while production/manufacturing is the process of actually making the product. Design focuses on the conceptualization and visual representation of a product, while production/manufacturing involves the physical creation of the product.

Why is it important to have a balance between design and production/manufacturing?

Having a balance between design and production/manufacturing is important because it ensures that a product is both visually appealing and functional. Designers need to consider the limitations and capabilities of the production/manufacturing process, while manufacturers need to understand and implement the design specifications to create a high-quality product.

What are the key factors to consider when designing a product for production/manufacturing?

Some key factors to consider when designing a product for production/manufacturing include the materials and resources available, the production/manufacturing process, and the cost and time constraints. It's also important to consider the functionality and usability of the product for the end user.

How does the design process impact the production/manufacturing process?

The design process has a direct impact on the production/manufacturing process. A well-designed product that takes into account the production/manufacturing limitations and requirements will be easier and more cost-effective to produce. On the other hand, a poorly designed product may result in production/manufacturing challenges and delays.

What role does technology play in the relationship between design and production/manufacturing?

Technology plays a crucial role in the relationship between design and production/manufacturing. With advancements in technology, designers have access to more advanced tools and software to conceptualize and visualize their designs. This allows for a more efficient and accurate design process, which in turn, can improve the production/manufacturing process. Additionally, technology has also revolutionized production/manufacturing techniques, making it faster, more precise, and more cost-effective.