Designing a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt

In summary, the speaker is requesting help from experts in designing a calculus problem that will result in a specific number when solved. They provide specific values for variables and mention that the end result will be a gift for their friend, who is an undergraduate math major. They also offer a potential problem for consideration and thank the listener for their help.
blujay
Hi. I apologize if this is an unwelcome intrusion, but I need help from folks such as yourselves. I know nothing about calculus, but a friend of mine does. I would like to design a kind of riddle or scavenger hunt in the form of a calculus problem which, when solved, would result in a specific number. I'd like it to have a few variables whose values would also be specific, and could be discovered outside of the problem. Specifically, I'd like the final answer to be 11644, one variable to be 1924, another variable to be 1934, and a third to be 1978.

Since I know nothing about calculus, I don't know for certain how skilled my friend is, but being an undergrad math major, I'd expect at least an intermediate level.

The end result of solving this problem will be my friend receiving a gift, so I ask not so much for myself as for my friend. :) Thank you for your consideration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one you might consider:

1. Find the largest prime factor of 9699690 and multiply it by 100
2. Add that to each of the three roots of x3-136x2+5340x-63648.
3. Calculate twice the sum of these three numbers
4. Subtract 28.

If your victim can't complete step 2 give him/her the hint that one root is 24.

LCKurtz, thank you kindly for your help. In case you're curious, this is the gift:

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=15303

Related to Designing a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt

What is a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt?

A calculus riddle/scavenger hunt is a game or activity that combines elements of calculus and riddles to create a fun and challenging experience for participants. It typically involves solving mathematical problems or puzzles related to calculus in order to uncover clues and navigate through a designated space.

How do you design a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt?

Designing a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt involves several steps. First, you need to come up with a theme or story that will tie all of the riddles and clues together. Then, you will need to create a series of riddles and mathematical problems that are challenging but solvable for your target audience. Finally, you will need to map out the physical space where the scavenger hunt will take place and strategically place the clues and riddles throughout.

What are some examples of calculus riddles?

Some examples of calculus riddles could include word problems involving optimization, integrals, derivatives, or limits. For example, "What is the minimum distance a ladder can be placed from a wall if it is 10 feet long and the base of the ladder must be 3 feet away from the wall?" These types of riddles incorporate real-world applications of calculus concepts.

Who can participate in a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt?

Anyone with a basic understanding of calculus can participate in a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt. However, the difficulty level of the riddles and problems can be adjusted to suit different age groups or levels of mathematical knowledge. It's important to keep in mind the target audience when designing the riddles and clues.

What are the benefits of participating in a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt?

Participating in a calculus riddle/scavenger hunt can provide a fun and engaging way to reinforce mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. It can also promote teamwork and communication among participants as they work together to solve the riddles and complete the scavenger hunt. Additionally, it can spark interest and curiosity in mathematics and make it more enjoyable for those who may have previously found it intimidating or boring.