Designing a Coke Bottle Submarine Experiment

• Thread starter prime-factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Submarine
In summary, the experiment involves using three syringes and fish-tank tubing to control the volume of air in a plastic coke bottle, which will be weighted and manipulated to float, sink, and return to the surface. The aim is to measure the acceleration of the bottle and compare it to theoretical equations. Other considerations include finding a better method for controlling the air volume and choosing between a small or large bottle.
prime-factor
I am designing an experiment in which a plastic coke bottle will be made to float, subsurface, sink, and return to the water's surface by external manipulation. (depth of 1 meter)

The way I want to do this is using three syringes and fish-tank tubing to control the volume(s) of air in the plastic bottle. In addition, I will need to add weight to the bottle to keep it sturdy, and take into account maybe a ballast tank type design incorporated.

The overall aim of this is to measure the acceleration of the bottle coming up (what i'll measure), compare to what it should be, using the appropriate equations.

Since constructing this plastic bottle submarine is a big part of what I am doing, I am wondering if there is a better method of controlling the volume of air other than syringes.

My other question is whether it would be wiser to use a small bottle (1L or 2L) or a large bottle (3L or 4L) and what might be some of the pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly, you're going to use the syringes as vacuum pumps. That should work okay if they're of large enough capacity and you don't have sealing problems with the air lines.
You'll probably have to calibrate your ballast by sucking out as much air as possible and then see how much you have to add to make the thing sink. (It won't without added weight.)
The size of bottle to use is up to you, but it probably shouldn't be much more than the volume of the syringes. Otherwise the percentage of the air that you can remove might be too small to do what you want to.

Your experiment sounds very interesting and well thought out. Using three syringes and fish-tank tubing to control the volume of air in the bottle is a great idea, as it allows for precise manipulation of the buoyancy. You may also want to consider using a small motor or pump to control the air volume, as it may provide more consistent results.

In terms of adding weight to the bottle, using a ballast tank design is a good approach. It will allow you to adjust the weight as needed and maintain stability throughout the experiment.

As for your question about the size of the bottle, there are pros and cons to both options. A smaller bottle may be easier to handle and manipulate, but may not provide enough space for the necessary equipment. A larger bottle may be more difficult to handle, but can accommodate more equipment and potentially provide more accurate results. Ultimately, it will depend on your specific experimental setup and goals.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid plan in place for your experiment. Just be sure to carefully consider all variables and potential limitations, and make adjustments as needed. Good luck with your experiment!

Related to Designing a Coke Bottle Submarine Experiment

1. How does a Coke bottle submarine work?

The Coke bottle submarine works by utilizing the principles of buoyancy and density. When the bottle is filled with air and sealed, it becomes less dense than water and therefore floats. By adding weights to the bottom of the bottle, the submarine can be made to sink and rise in the water.

2. What materials do I need to design a Coke bottle submarine experiment?

To design a Coke bottle submarine experiment, you will need a 2-liter Coke bottle, scissors, clay or play-doh, a balloon, and weights such as pennies or washers. You may also want to have a scale to measure the weight of the submarine and a ruler to measure its dimensions.

3. How do I control the depth of the submarine in the water?

The depth of the submarine can be controlled by adjusting the amount of weight added to the bottom. The more weight added, the deeper the submarine will sink. You can also try adjusting the amount of air in the bottle by inflating or deflating the balloon to see how it affects the submarine's buoyancy.

4. How can I make my submarine move forward in the water?

To make your submarine move forward, you can attach a small propeller to the back of the bottle. You can make a simple propeller using a rubber band and a small piece of cardboard. When the rubber band is wound up, it will spin the propeller and propel the submarine forward.

5. What are some potential variables that could affect the results of the experiment?

Some potential variables that could affect the results of the experiment include the size and shape of the bottle, the amount of air and water in the bottle, the weight and placement of the weights, and the design of the propeller. It is important to keep these variables consistent when conducting the experiment to ensure accurate results.