Designing a controller whice goal is stabilizing

In summary, the person is designing a controller in MATLAB to stabilize a known plant through feedback. They are considering using the GUI "sisotool" for designing the controller, but want to meet certain demands and have the controller implemented automatically without the use of a GUI. Their goal is to close the loop without any intervention and they are wondering how to design the controller automatically.
dot27
Helo,
I am currently designing a controller whice goal is stabilizing (by means of feedback)
a known plant.

The design is carried out with matlab. Now, there is an option of using the gui "sisotool"
for the controller design.
The problem is that i want the closed loop system to meet certain
demands that are defined in *advance*, and I don't want to "manully" create the contoller with the gui, after examining the plant.

My goal is to the close the loop, so that the controller will be implemnted without the use of a gui, as a continuous part of the program with no intervetion (as with the gui).

Thx,
erez ahatul

Physics news on Phys.org

dot27 said:
Helo,
I am currently designing a controller whice goal is stabilizing (by means of feedback)
a known plant.

The design is carried out with matlab. Now, there is an option of using the gui "sisotool"
for the controller design.
The problem is that i want the closed loop system to meet certain
demands that are defined in *advance*, and I don't want to "manully" create the contoller with the gui, after examining the plant.

My goal is to the close the loop, so that the controller will be implemnted without the use of a gui, as a continuous part of the program with no intervetion (as with the gui).

Thx,
erez ahatul

Do you have a specific question that you would like to ask?

EDIT -- and are you planning on actually closing the loop with some plant equipment? What are your output and input devices going to be?

the question is: how do i design the controller automatically?

1. What is a controller and why is it needed in stabilizing systems?

A controller is a device that manipulates the inputs to a system in order to achieve a desired output. It is needed in stabilizing systems because it can detect and correct any disturbances or errors in the system, keeping it functioning in a stable and controlled manner.

2. How does a controller work to stabilize a system?

A controller works by continuously monitoring the output of a system and comparing it to the desired output. If there is a difference, it calculates the necessary adjustments to the inputs in order to minimize the difference and bring the system back to its desired state.

3. What are some common types of controllers used for stabilizing systems?

Some common types of controllers include proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controllers, state feedback controllers, and model predictive controllers. These controllers use different algorithms and strategies to stabilize systems and have different strengths and weaknesses depending on the system being controlled.

4. How do you design a controller specifically for stabilizing a system?

To design a controller for stabilizing a system, you first need to understand the dynamics of the system and identify its stability requirements. Then, you can use mathematical models and control theory principles to design a controller that meets those requirements. The controller can then be tested and adjusted as needed to achieve optimal stabilization of the system.

5. What are some challenges in designing a controller for stabilizing a system?

Some challenges in designing a controller for stabilizing a system include accurately modeling the system, choosing the appropriate control strategy, and tuning the controller parameters to achieve desired performance. Additionally, external disturbances and uncertainties in the system can also pose challenges in designing an effective controller for stabilization.