Designing a system of two filers(Band Stop and High Pass)

In summary, the student is asking how to determine filter specifications from a given ECG graph. The instructor is unable to help the student because he does not have any knowledge of filters and is rude.
coolrp
I have no idea what is to be done. Please help!

I do not how am I supposed to proceed/begin as well.

The zip files contain a data collected from an ECG machine and the pdf has the problem statement.

Any kind of help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Project Assignment.pdf
    137.3 KB · Views: 285
  • ecg data.zip
    214.9 KB · Views: 167
  • ecg data 2.zip
    143.3 KB · Views: 180
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's an assignment! We can't help you right away. You have to follow homework help guideline to show that you have approached a solution yourself.

actually I am not able to understand what am I supposed to do.

I mean, okay, i copied the signal in MATLAB and plotted it, it comes out as shown in the figure. I have to design two filters, band stop and a high pass filter to attenuate the noise in the signal.

I know that the bandstop specifications include first/second pass/stop band frequencies, attenuation gain etc etc, but how do i go about calculating them??

how am i supposed to use the sampling, 12bit A/D, amplification of data etc to find the specifications if at all these are to be used?

i don't know where to begin!

just give me something to start with...

can you please tell me how do I filter a signal? I mean the signal output as given in the attached file is plotted. Now if i design a filter using FDA Toolbox, how am i supposed to test that filter for this signal input?

i didn't ask to help me understand how to read the ECG! I merely asked how are to determine the filter specifications.

As for the my work, I did the following, since the sample includes 150, 000 samples and we don't really need all of them. Since the sampling freq is 1000Hz, we can take up any number of samples above that. I took 1024 samples and took the fft of the sample, and plotted the abs value graph and got the signal in frequency domain and now the powerline is clearly visible at 50Hz.
the graphs:
hrne2v.jpg

1fd45s.jpg

so the passband and stopband frequencies are around 50Hz as in these graphs?

I have a pretty good idea about filters, what I am not very good is MATLAB and dude, seriously, this post wasn't binding on you to answer!

Fine, I suck at practical implementation of theoretical concepts but dude, chill! Yeah, I am pretty good at theoritical concepts (and that doesn't mean book learning if you think its anywhere close to that)!

Thanks for your help anyways! I am surprised, you thought that the second diagram was a partial filtered graph of the first. Its an ideal ECG signal!

yungman said:
You filter a signal using electronic filters. In your case, it would be active filters. This is an article on designing active filters.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/sloa088/sloa088.pdf

Again, how do you get into this class without the basic knowledge of filters?

I meant in MATLAB, the FDA tool is a tool in MATLAB to design filters! But it only creates a filter as per my specifications, how do i test it with an input is what I asked? Any idea about that?

yungman said:
Dude, I see you are very desperate in getting help, but you have not put in any effort in suggesting any solution and you are rude. No wonder no body help you here. You are on your own.

I wasn't the one who was taking personal shots.. I just asked for how do I decide filter specifications from a given graph...You don't even know me and you could were questioning my credibility..

1. How does a band stop filter work?

A band stop filter, also known as a notch filter, works by attenuating or blocking a specific range of frequencies while allowing all other frequencies to pass through. This is achieved by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and inductors to create a notch or dip in the frequency response curve.

2. What is the difference between a band stop filter and a high pass filter?

A band stop filter blocks a specific range of frequencies, while a high pass filter allows frequencies above a certain cutoff point to pass through. In other words, a band stop filter attenuates a specific range of frequencies, while a high pass filter only allows frequencies above a certain point to pass through.

3. What are the key considerations when designing a system of two filters?

When designing a system of two filters, it is important to consider the individual frequency response curves of each filter and how they will interact with each other. The cutoff frequencies and slopes of each filter should also be carefully chosen to achieve the desired overall frequency response of the system.

4. How can I determine the ideal cutoff frequencies for a band stop and high pass filter?

The ideal cutoff frequencies for a band stop and high pass filter will depend on the specific application and desired frequency response. In general, these cutoff frequencies can be determined by analyzing the frequency response curves of each filter and finding the point at which the desired frequency range is attenuated or allowed to pass through.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a system of two filters?

One potential limitation of using a system of two filters is that it may introduce additional noise or distortion to the signal. Additionally, if the filters are not carefully designed and chosen, they may not interact in the desired way and result in an unexpected frequency response. It is important to thoroughly test and fine-tune the system to ensure optimal performance.