How to design electrical system for a hotel?

In summary, the electrical engineer considers the following when designing a hotel electric circuit: the type of wiring, the number of rooms, the protection instruments, the ground, and the colors for the wires. Additionally, they consider the three phase or single phase of the circuit, whether it is organized in a parallel or series fashion, and the experience of the electrician who will be installing the wiring.
Cdz
So here is the problem, I major in electrical engineering and my sister works in a small furnishing company and recently the company got an offer to furnish a hotel with 25 rooms.
And she asks me if I can design the electric circuit for that hotel.In school I learn electric machine and how to control it, programming and so on.
So i never actually designed a circuit for a room, let alone a hotel..
But I think that should not be too difficult,it's basically a circuit of delivering energy.
But then again,the main concern here is to ensure SAFETY. This should be done by experienced electrician. But i think this would be a very good opportunity to gain experience to learn how to do it.
What should i consider?
Consideration:
1. Wires how to choose different lines?
2. Topology so 25 five rooms should run parallel
3. Protection instruments(need to understand them and how to choose them)
4. Ground(I don't understand this very well, how Ground a device will protect us, and it's difference with neutral line)
5. Convention colors for different wires and what else?
6. Three phase or single phase?
7. How to organize all those wires

What else to consider? Or it there any guides that i can follow?
Please help me!

Engineering news on Phys.org
After graduating as an EE myself, I learned that all my learning did not prepare me from being an electrician.

The Bible for an electrician is not Ohm's Law, it is The National Elecric Code (NEC). How much do you know about that?

Likes CalcNerd, russ_watters, wirenut and 3 others
Cdz said:
So here is the problem, I major in electrical engineering and my sister works in a small furnishing company and recently the company got an offer to furnish a hotel with 25 rooms.
And she asks me if I can design the electric circuit for that hotel.In school I learn electric machine and how to control it, programming and so on.
So i never actually designed a circuit for a room, let alone a hotel..
But I think that should not be too difficult,it's basically a circuit of delivering energy.
But then again,the main concern here is to ensure SAFETY. This should be done by experienced electrician. But i think this would be a very good opportunity to gain experience to learn how to do it.
What should i consider?
Consideration:
1. Wires how to choose different lines?
2. Topology so 25 five rooms should run parallel
3. Protection instruments(need to understand them and how to choose them)
4. Ground(I don't understand this very well, how Ground a device will protect us, and it's difference with neutral line)
5. Convention colors for different wires and what else?
6. Three phase or single phase?
7. How to organize all those wires

What else to consider? Or it there any guides that i can follow?
Please help me!

What country are you in? You will need to get the electrical plans approved by your city's Building Inspector's Department, and they will inspect the installation at several steps along the way. The wiring should be done by a licensed electrician, to help ensure that it is done to code (the NEC as mentioned, or a different standard if you are not in the US). Does the hotel not already have wiring? Is it in construction right now?

Until you have a load of suitable qualifications, you will not be in a position to Certify any system you could produce. However good it may turn out to be, you (and your customer) would need it to be inspected by a suitably qualified Electrical Engineer before members of the public could use the hotel.
'Jobs for the boys'?? Possibly, but the regulations let us all sleep easily in our hotel beds.
One possible (cheap) way to approach this could be to find a tame EE and present him (/her) with a detailed requirement for the system and your suggested plans.
There really isn't a short cut available. Judging from your original list of questions, I should say that you would need to follow a course to get thoroughly acquainted with that part of EE.
I was in a similar situation, recently, when I sold a house in which I had done a number of (pukka) mods and installations. My Chartered Engineer status has long since lapsed but I knew what to do. Nonetheless, I had to pay a guy some serious dosh for him to inspect the system and make a couple of changes.

Note In the UK a certified EE can self certificate installations and Building Control doesn't need to get involved.

anorlunda said:
After graduating as an EE myself, I learned that all my learning did not prepare me from being an electrician.

The Bible for an electrician is not Ohm's Law, it is The National Elecric Code (NEC). How much do you know about that?
I know that it exists but never read it before,so I think this would be a good start,thanks.

sophiecentaur said:
Until you have a load of suitable qualifications, you will not be in a position to Certify any system you could produce. However good it may turn out to be, you (and your customer) would need it to be inspected by a suitably qualified Electrical Engineer before members of the public could use the hotel.
'Jobs for the boys'?? Possibly, but the regulations let us all sleep easily in our hotel beds.
One possible (cheap) way to approach this could be to find a tame EE and present him (/her) with a detailed requirement for the system and your suggested plans.
There really isn't a short cut available. Judging from your original list of questions, I should say that you would need to follow a course to get thoroughly acquainted with that part of EE.
I was in a similar situation, recently, when I sold a house in which I had done a number of (pukka) mods and installations. My Chartered Engineer status has long since lapsed but I knew what to do. Nonetheless, I had to pay a guy some serious dosh for him to inspect the system and make a couple of changes.

Note In the UK a certified EE can self certificate installations and Building Control doesn't need to get involved.
I heard that the company hired some college graduate to do this:oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised: and my sister told me that guy seems at loss..I need to make sure that I won't sleep in that hotel then.

Cdz said:

Safety trumps learning in this circumstance. Thread locked.

Let me expand on that:
Designing an electrical system for a building is a job that only a licensed professional engineer can do. Anyone else attempting to do so is not only violating the law, but is endangering lives. We do not condone, so we will not assist in such a misguided effort. Please do the right thing (and tell your sister to do the right thing) here.

1. What factors should be considered when designing an electrical system for a hotel?

When designing an electrical system for a hotel, it is important to consider the size and layout of the hotel, the number of rooms and amenities, the power requirements for different areas, the type of electrical equipment and appliances to be used, and the local building codes and regulations.

2. How do you determine the load requirements for a hotel's electrical system?

To determine the load requirements for a hotel's electrical system, you will need to calculate the total power needed for lighting, HVAC systems, kitchen and laundry equipment, elevators, and other amenities. This can be done by assessing the wattage of each individual appliance and adding them together, or by using load estimation software.

3. What type of wiring should be used in a hotel's electrical system?

The type of wiring used in a hotel's electrical system will depend on the power requirements and building codes. Generally, hotels use a combination of aluminum and copper wiring, with copper being used for higher voltage and aluminum for lower voltage. It is important to use wiring with the appropriate gauge and insulation for safety and efficiency.

4. How can energy efficiency be incorporated into a hotel's electrical system design?

There are several ways to incorporate energy efficiency into a hotel's electrical system design. This can include using energy-efficient lighting, such as LED bulbs, installing motion sensors and timers for lighting control, using energy-efficient appliances and equipment, and implementing a smart energy management system.

5. What safety measures should be taken when designing an electrical system for a hotel?

Safety should always be a top priority when designing an electrical system for a hotel. This includes following all local building codes and regulations, using high-quality wiring and equipment, installing ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in areas with potential water exposure, and providing proper labeling and maintenance for all electrical components.