The design of a low pass filter

In summary, the conversation is about designing a 24V dc to 230V ac inverter operating at 50Hz. The speaker has used multisim to simulate the circuit and has achieved the desired parameters but the output is a square wave. They are now trying to adjust the low pass filter to smooth the waveform, using a 1uH inductor, 1m Ohm resistor, and 100nF capacitor. After recalculating the component values, they have achieved a better approximation of a sine wave but the overall impedance has increased, resulting in a lower output voltage. The speaker is seeking assistance with the design of low pass filters and electronic circuits in general. They mention that this is not a homework assignment, but
Bourbon daddy
I am trying to design a 24V dc to 230V ac inverter operating at 50Hz. So far, by using multisim to simulate the circuit I have been able to achieve these parameters but my output is essentially a square wave.

I am using a variation of a circuit that I have found on line, and I am now trying to adjust the low pass filter to smooth the wave form of the output out. The components used for the filter are;

1uH inductor in series with a 1m Ohm resistor connected in parallel with a 100nF capacitor.

At 50 Hz this gives an overall impedance of 0.315 Ohms.

Using the following formulas I recalculated the component values,

Taking the resistor as 1k and frequency at 50Hz.

(1/c)=2(pi)(f)
L=(f/(2(pi)R))

This has given a much better approximation of a sine wave however the overall impedance has increased to approximately 500 Ohms, resulting in the voltage measured at the output dropping down to 88V.

Since the design of low pass filters (and general design work of electronic circuits) is new to me, could someone please lend a bit of a helping hand.

Regards.

N.B I have just seen the warning about posting homework on here. Please note, I am a student, but this is not homework, I am doing it just for a general appreciation into the design work involved for inverter circuits.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's actually kind of hard to go from square wave -> sine wave. What you really want isn't a low pass filter but a band pass filter about 50Hz. This is basically what you're building with the inductor, resistor in parallel with a cap.

You're impedance is going to go down just because it's really hard to make a filter that perfectly passes a particular frequency. You can always amplify the voltage.

Last edited:

1. What is a low pass filter?

A low pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows low frequency signals to pass through while blocking high frequency signals. It is commonly used to remove noise or unwanted high frequency components from a signal.

2. What is the purpose of a low pass filter?

The purpose of a low pass filter is to attenuate high frequency signals, allowing only low frequency signals to pass through. This is useful in applications such as audio processing, where unwanted noise can be filtered out.

3. How does a low pass filter work?

A low pass filter works by using resistors, capacitors, and inductors to create a circuit that only allows low frequency signals to pass through. The components are chosen in such a way that they create a voltage divider, with the output voltage decreasing as the frequency increases.

4. What are the different types of low pass filters?

There are various types of low pass filters, including the RC filter, LC filter, and active filters. RC filters use resistors and capacitors, while LC filters use inductors and capacitors. Active filters use active components such as op-amps to amplify and filter the signal.

5. How do I choose the right low pass filter for my application?

The choice of low pass filter depends on the specific requirements of your application. Factors to consider include the cutoff frequency, the amount of attenuation required, and the type of input and output signals. It is best to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or conduct thorough research to determine the most suitable filter for your needs.