Designing a three phase permenent magnet generator

In summary: Gokul43201,In summary, Gokul43201 found that doubling the thickness of the magnet only produced a 15 percent increase in voltage. He believes that the gap is adjustable and is essentially the same at 0.460", for both tests. His test coils are 0.390" thick. He has several magnets that are 7/8" diameter and coils that are 1.75" diameter with a 7/8" hole in the center of the rotor.
willib
I am designing a three phase permenent magnet generator , and have a question.
as a magnet pair passes over a coil , inducing a voltage, that voltage is most dependent on ?
1) the angular velocity ( that's a given)
2) the pole strength
3) flux density
4) energy product.
5) thickness of the magnet ( not the width / length or diameter)

Assuming the diameter of the magnet is in the correct proportion to the coil for a three phase generator how is the the thickness of the magnet related to the induced voltage?
I have experimented with this , using 7/8" dia x 1/2" and 7/8" dia x 1" NdFeB magnets , with the same air gap , same coil , doubling the thickness only produced a 15 percent increase in voltage . why?
I was expecting to double the induced voltage .

Engineering news on Phys.org
willib said:
Assuming the diameter of the magnet is in the correct proportion to the coil for a three phase generator how is the the thickness of the magnet related to the induced voltage?
I have experimented with this , using 7/8" dia x 1/2" and 7/8" dia x 1" NdFeB magnets , with the same air gap , same coil , doubling the thickness only produced a 15 percent increase in voltage . why?
I was expecting to double the induced voltage .
Can you provide a simple diagram of the geometry. It may just be that you are adding the extra thickness at a greater distance from the coil, and hence, not providing twice the field at the coil.

Gokul43201 said:
Can you provide a simple diagram of the geometry. It may just be that you are adding the extra thickness at a greater distance from the coil, and hence, not providing twice the field at the coil.
yes i have diagrams , but would like to ask first , are my thoughts on doubling the thickness , and hence getting double the voltage , essentially correct?

Gokul43201,
have you checked your private messages , i sent you one on feb 7th.
i don't know who else to turn to for an answer, the gap is adjustable and is essentially the same @ 0.460" , for both tests.
my test coils are 0.390" thick. i have several.
0.035" space top and bottom..
this is a dual rotor machine 24 poles , 48 magnets
magnets are 7/8" dia , coils are 1.75" dia,with a 7/8" hole
rotors are 10.8" dia

Thanks for the reply , i really appreciate it

1. How does a three phase permanent magnet generator work?

A three phase permanent magnet generator uses permanent magnets and a rotating magnetic field to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. As the magnets rotate, they induce a current in the stator windings, creating three separate phases of alternating current.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a three phase permanent magnet generator?

Key factors to consider include the desired power output, the speed and torque of the generator, the type and strength of the permanent magnets, the design and arrangement of the stator windings, and the overall efficiency and cost of the generator.

3. What are the advantages of using permanent magnets in a three phase generator?

Permanent magnets offer several advantages, including higher efficiency, lower maintenance requirements, and a more compact design compared to traditional generators using electromagnets. Additionally, permanent magnets do not require a separate power source to create a magnetic field.

4. What are the potential challenges in designing a three phase permanent magnet generator?

One challenge is ensuring that the magnets are strong enough to produce the desired power output while also maintaining a stable magnetic field. The design and construction of the stator windings must also be carefully considered to reduce losses and maximize efficiency.

5. How can the design of a three phase permanent magnet generator be optimized for specific applications?

The design can be optimized by adjusting various parameters such as the number and arrangement of the magnets, the shape and size of the stator and rotor, and the type of stator winding. Computer simulations and testing can also be used to fine-tune the design for specific performance requirements.