Double permanent magnet generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of generators and the use of two sets of magnets to improve flux density and alignment of flux lines. The speaker also mentions that this design is commonly used in permanent magnet motors, but not in generators.
BilPrestonEsq
So I can't seem to find out why generators aren't designed so that the coils are passing in between TWO magnets N facing in and S facing out, and then S facing in N facing out etc. The flux density between two magnets is obviously greater and the flux lines are 'straighter' (more lines of flux perpendicular to wire in coil). Anyone?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I must not understand you correctly because I thought that is the way permanent magnet motors are set up and they generally make pretty good generators, or at least as good as a permanent magnet generator can be.

I am pretty sure they don't have two sets of magnets one inside the coil and one outside the coil. Atleast I haven't found any designs like that.

1. What is a double permanent magnet generator?

A double permanent magnet generator is a type of electric generator that uses two permanent magnets instead of an electromagnet to produce electricity. These magnets are arranged in a specific way to create a continuous flow of electricity.

2. How does a double permanent magnet generator work?

A double permanent magnet generator works by utilizing the repulsive and attractive forces between two permanent magnets to create a rotating motion. This rotation is then converted into electricity through the use of coils and a stator.

3. What are the advantages of a double permanent magnet generator?

One advantage of a double permanent magnet generator is that it does not require a power source, such as fuel or electricity, to function. It also has a simpler design and is more reliable than other types of generators.

4. What are the applications of a double permanent magnet generator?

A double permanent magnet generator can be used in a variety of applications, including renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants. It can also be used in portable generators and electric vehicles.

5. Are there any limitations to using a double permanent magnet generator?

One limitation of a double permanent magnet generator is that it is not as efficient as other types of generators, such as those that use electromagnets. It also has a lower power output and may not be suitable for large-scale power generation.