Designing an RLC circuit from a given transfer function.

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a circuit from a given transfer function, specifically one that cancels out the effects of a "black box" circuit. The transfer function of the original circuit is determined experimentally and used to create a bode plot, which shows a pole and a zero. The task is to design a circuit with the inverse transfer function, which includes a DC gain of 15.625, a pole at 1660Hz, and a zero at 56Hz. The use of an op-amp is suggested to achieve a DC gain greater than 1. The suggested circuit involves a voltage divider composed of two resistors and a capacitor in series. The transfer function of this circuit is then discussed.
MonsterAar
Designing a circuit from a given transfer function.

I hope you don't mind that I haven't used the default format. It doesn't lend itself well to my problem.

The original problem is as follows:
We were given a 'black box' that contained a passive circuit and we experimentally determined a transfer function for the circuit by passing through various frequencies and recording the magnitude and phase of the outputs.

This was then used to create a bode plot. This bode plot showed a pole at approximately 56Hz and a zero at approximately 1660Hz. The DC gain of the circuit is 0.064.

From this information I deduced the transfer function of the circuit to be:
[tex]H(\omega)=0.064\frac{1+j\frac{\omega}{1660}}{1+j\frac{\omega}{56}}[/tex]

The task now asks for us to design a circuit to cancel out the effects of the black box on the input signal. Basically we have to design a circuit so that when we have input-blackbox-our circuit-output, the input=output. So, I need to design a circuit with the inverse of the above transfer function.

IE. I need to design a circuit with the following transfer function:
[tex]H(\omega)=15.625\frac{1+j\frac{\omega}{56}}{1+j\frac{\omega}{1660}}[/tex]

This is where I get stuck. How do I go about designing a circuit with a DC gain of 15.625, a pole at 1660Hz and a zero at 56Hz?
I understand I'll have to use an op-amp to get the DC gain greater than 1. Other than this I'm stuck.

Thanks,
Luke

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a voltage divider composed of two resistors and a capacitor in series. The input voltage acts on all three components and the output voltage is taken on the series of the capacitor and one of the resistors.
What is the transfer function of this circuit?

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller steps and using my knowledge of circuit design and transfer functions to guide my approach.

Firstly, I would start by identifying the type of circuit that would have a transfer function with a pole at 1660Hz and a zero at 56Hz. In this case, an RLC circuit would be a suitable choice as it can have both a pole and a zero in its transfer function.

Next, I would focus on designing the RLC circuit to have the desired pole and zero frequencies. This would involve selecting appropriate values for the resistor, inductor, and capacitor. I would use the standard equations for calculating the pole and zero frequencies in an RLC circuit and adjust the values until they match with the given frequencies.

Once the RLC circuit is designed, I would then move on to incorporating the desired DC gain of 15.625. This can be achieved by using an op-amp with a suitable gain value, as you have mentioned in your question. The op-amp can be placed in the feedback path of the RLC circuit to amplify the output and achieve the desired DC gain.

Finally, I would test the circuit and make any necessary adjustments to ensure that it meets the required transfer function. This could involve fine-tuning the values of the components or adjusting the gain of the op-amp.

In summary, designing an RLC circuit from a given transfer function requires a good understanding of circuit design principles and transfer functions. By breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using appropriate equations and components, a circuit can be designed to meet the given specifications.

1. What is an RLC circuit and how does it work?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is used to filter and amplify electrical signals. The resistor controls the flow of current, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. Together, these components create a resonant circuit that can alter the frequency of an input signal.

2. How do you design an RLC circuit from a given transfer function?

To design an RLC circuit from a given transfer function, you first need to determine the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor that will produce the desired transfer function. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using a circuit design software. Once the values are determined, the circuit can be constructed and tested to ensure it produces the desired response.

3. What is a transfer function and why is it important in designing an RLC circuit?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of how a circuit or system responds to an input signal. It describes the relationship between the input and output signals in terms of frequency, amplitude, and phase. In designing an RLC circuit, the transfer function is important because it allows us to determine the circuit's behavior and response to different input signals, which helps in selecting the appropriate values for the components.

4. What factors should be considered when designing an RLC circuit?

When designing an RLC circuit, several factors should be considered, including the desired frequency response, input and output impedance, and power requirements. The type of filter (low-pass, high-pass, or band-pass) and the order of the filter should also be taken into account. Additionally, the tolerance and temperature stability of the components should be considered to ensure the circuit's performance is consistent.

5. How can an RLC circuit be optimized for a specific application?

An RLC circuit can be optimized for a specific application by carefully selecting the values for the components based on the desired frequency response and other specifications. This can be done through simulations and testing, where the circuit's performance can be evaluated and adjusted as needed. Additionally, using higher quality components and considering external factors such as noise and interference can also help optimize the circuit for a specific application.