Designing DC motor with 8051 and transisors

In summary, both designs require resistors in the base of the transistors, one design uses npn transistors and the other uses pnp transistors. The first design uses bipolar transistors and the second uses MOSFETs. Both designs require +V to be at 4.0 - 4.25 volts to drive the upper transistors into saturation. If the motor you are trying to control draws much current under normal run conditions, I would recommend searching the web for MOSFET H bridge alternative.
go2255
I want to design a bidirectional DC motor ,
so use four transistors in the H bridge circuit.

I can understand the first circuit,
but for the second, I can't understand why input signal ,
eg: A, is connected to the same side of transistors?

What is the differences, which one I should choose?

attachment.php?attachmentid=69008&stc=1&d=1398343947.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=69009&stc=1&d=1398343947.jpg

Attachments

• DC-Motor-Driving-using-H-Bridge-1024x683.jpg
    DC-Motor-Driving-using-H-Bridge-1024x683.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 659
  • Good_H_bridge_Schematic.jpg
    Good_H_bridge_Schematic.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 592
Engineering news on Phys.org
The difference is the path to ground. In the first figure, the design uses npn transistors, and in the second it uses pnp transistor to pull to ground. With bipolar transistors you will probably see using either of these designs, more heat generated in the transistors than if you used a design with MOSFETs. In the top design, the bottom transistors will be driven into saturation with sufficient voltage on A or B (provided there is enough current), this really depends on the specs of the motor and how much current you need to push through the motor. [Saturation is driving the transistor into its most ON state, this drops the least voltage across the CE junctions and passes the most current while limiting the power dissipated (heat) from the transistor.] On the second design the path to ground will be limited to the PN junction voltage from motor to base, so if A is operating from the same supply, you will probably not achieve saturation in design 2 on the ground path from the motor.

Both designs will require A & B voltage probably be about 0.5 to 1 volt above +V to drive the top rail (+V) to the motor such that the upper transistors are in saturation. If these are very small motors and if you are driving A & B with CMOS 8051 outputs direct, then you should limit +V to about 4.0 - 4.25 at most. Otherwise, you will need voltage translation to try and drive the upper transistors into saturation.

If the motor you are trying to control draws much current under normal run conditions, I would recommend searching the web for MOSFET H bridge alternative.

I want to design a bidirectional DC motor ,
so I use four transistors in the H bridge circuit.

Is there any problems if there is no resistors in the base of transistors?

How can I use 3 buttons for stop,forward and backward control of the motor?
Where should I put them?

Which pins of 8051 are necessary to be connected except Vcc and GND?

attachment.php?attachmentid=69016&stc=1&d=1398353894.jpg

Attachments

• 20140424_232842.jpg
    20140424_232842.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 457
YES! Big problem without resistors!

The base to emitter junction is a forward bias PN junction when "on". As such that voltage is around 0.7 volts. Since your base of the ground path transistor is tied to the base of the +V side transistor they will both be approximately 0.7 above ground when either the A or B signal tries to drive "1" or high. This would present a problem for the 8051 output as it wants to go to a higher voltage as well (probably above 2.4 v at least) and create undue stress in the output drivers of that pin (some manufacturers output drivers will tolerate this, but it is bad practice for reliability).

Bottom line is the resistors are necessary, but the whole approach of bipolar transistor with this design is problematic. Also you really need to make sure that your switch on +V is off during the change of A & B. Having power during a transition would cause a temporary power path directly through the transistors for a narrow time (few ns), but long enough to cause concerns.

A better approach is to use NPN transistors for the ground connection and PNP for the +V connection and set the A & B logic to the bases correctly (use resistors). This will drive the transistors into saturation. But you still need some logic to limit switching currents to some degree - in my opinion for a good design. I still think you will achieve better results with either discrete MOSFETs or a dedicated H bridge chip. Take a look at SN754410, it is bipolar inside, but compact package with voltage translation for motor drive at a higher voltage and digital control. I've used them before for steppers, but they will work fine for low current motors.

I would recommend using an H bridge circuit with four transistors for designing a bidirectional DC motor. This type of circuit allows for the motor to rotate in both directions by controlling the flow of current through the motor.

In terms of the input signal, the reason why it is connected to the same side of the transistors is to allow for the switching of current flow in the motor. When the input signal is high, the transistors on one side of the H bridge will be turned on, allowing current to flow in one direction through the motor. When the input signal is low, the transistors on the opposite side will be turned on, allowing current to flow in the opposite direction through the motor. This allows for the bidirectional movement of the motor.

The main difference between using the same side or opposite side of the transistors for the input signal is the direction of current flow in the motor. If the input signal is connected to the same side, the motor will rotate in one direction. If it is connected to the opposite side, the motor will rotate in the opposite direction. Ultimately, the choice depends on the desired direction of rotation for the motor.

In conclusion, using an H bridge circuit with four transistors is a suitable design for a bidirectional DC motor. The input signal can be connected to either the same or opposite side of the transistors, depending on the desired direction of rotation for the motor.

1. How do I design a DC motor with 8051 and transistors?

Designing a DC motor with 8051 and transistors involves several steps. First, you need to determine the specifications of the motor such as its voltage, current, and speed requirements. Then, you need to select the appropriate transistors to control the motor's speed and direction. Next, you will need to design the circuit using the 8051 microcontroller to control the transistors. Finally, you will need to test and troubleshoot the circuit to ensure it works properly.

2. What are the advantages of using an 8051 microcontroller in designing a DC motor?

One of the main advantages of using an 8051 microcontroller in designing a DC motor is its ability to provide precise control over the motor's speed and direction. The 8051 also has built-in features such as timers and interrupts that can be used to optimize the motor's performance. Additionally, the 8051 is a widely used microcontroller, making it easy to find resources and support for your project.

3. Can I use any type of transistor in designing a DC motor with 8051?

No, you cannot use any type of transistor in designing a DC motor with 8051. The type of transistor you use will depend on the motor's specifications and the required current and voltage ratings. Commonly used transistors for DC motors include MOSFETs and bipolar junction transistors (BJTs).

4. Is it necessary to use a microcontroller in designing a DC motor with transistors?

Using a microcontroller is not necessary, but it can make the design process easier and more efficient. A microcontroller can provide precise control over the motor's speed and direction, as well as other features such as overload protection and motor control algorithms. However, you can also design a DC motor using transistors without using a microcontroller, but it may require more complex circuitry.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my DC motor design using 8051 and transistors?

If you encounter issues with your DC motor design, the first step is to check your circuit for any loose connections or faulty components. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit to identify any potential problems. Additionally, you can refer to the datasheets of the transistors and the 8051 microcontroller for troubleshooting tips and guidelines.