1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desperate for help !

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    Desperate for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am doing an electromagnet project. I am a bit lazy and was asking if you guys could give me a list of ALL the materials I need to compete in the science fair. I'm in 10th grade, and my question is which factor affects strength of electromagnet the most. Things like # of coils or thickness of wire.

I would be extremely happy if you guys would help.

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution I am having major stress in my life, and I just need someone to give me a list so I can go to the store and buy those materials.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2
    Re: Desperate for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do your research, we dont give out answers here. Look up some articles on electromagnetism to look at what determines magnetic field strength and so forth.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/ might be a good place to start.

~Senjai

Edit: shouldnt be too hard, the formula is [tex] B = \mu_0(\frac{N}{l})I [/tex] Look for the definition of magnetic field strength, if thats what your being asked to interpret.

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Desperate for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As has been said, we don't do your work for you. But I can point you to an introductory article that should get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

Let us know if you have specific questions about the article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook