What materials do I need for an electromagnet science fair project?

• Thread starter Alieneater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary, the student is requesting a list of materials for their electromagnet project and is wondering which factor has the greatest effect on the strength of an electromagnet. They are directed to do their own research, with a suggested starting point of the Physics Classroom website, and are given a formula to look for in determining magnetic field strength. The student is reminded that the community does not give out answers but is willing to help with specific questions.
Alieneater
Desperate for help!

Homework Statement

I am doing an electromagnet project. I am a bit lazy and was asking if you guys could give me a list of ALL the materials I need to compete in the science fair. I'm in 10th grade, and my question is which factor affects strength of electromagnet the most. Things like # of coils or thickness of wire.

I would be extremely happy if you guys would help.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having major stress in my life, and I just need someone to give me a list so I can go to the store and buy those materials.

Physics news on Phys.org

Do your research, we don't give out answers here. Look up some articles on electromagnetism to look at what determines magnetic field strength and so forth.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/ might be a good place to start.

~Senjai

Edit: shouldn't be too hard, the formula is [tex] B = \mu_0(\frac{N}{l})I [/tex] Look for the definition of magnetic field strength, if that's what your being asked to interpret.

Alieneater said:

Homework Statement

I am doing an electromagnet project. I am a bit lazy and was asking if you guys could give me a list of ALL the materials I need to compete in the science fair. I'm in 10th grade, and my question is which factor affects strength of electromagnet the most. Things like # of coils or thickness of wire.

I would be extremely happy if you guys would help.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having major stress in my life, and I just need someone to give me a list so I can go to the store and buy those materials.

As has been said, we don't do your work for you. But I can point you to an introductory article that should get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet

Let us know if you have specific questions about the article.

What are the common causes of feeling desperate for help?

Feeling desperate for help can be caused by various reasons such as financial problems, relationship issues, mental health concerns, and overwhelming stress or pressure.

How can seeking help improve the situation of someone who is desperate?

Seeking help from a trusted friend, family member, therapist, or support group can provide emotional support, guidance, and resources to cope with the situation and find solutions.

What are some warning signs that someone is in desperate need of help?

Some warning signs include withdrawal from social activities, changes in mood or behavior, difficulty concentrating, and expressing feelings of hopelessness or helplessness.

How can I help someone who is desperate for help?

You can offer a listening ear, show empathy, encourage them to seek professional help, and provide practical support such as helping them find resources or accompanying them to appointments.

Is it normal to feel embarrassed or ashamed about seeking help when feeling desperate?

It is common to feel embarrassed or ashamed about seeking help, but it is important to remember that seeking help is a sign of strength and courage. Everyone needs support at some point in their lives, and it is okay to ask for help when we need it.