Detailed Physics of the D.C. Motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the workings of a simple DC electric motor and the transformation of electric energy into motor power. The speaker has a basic understanding but has gaps in their knowledge. The conversation touches on the creation of an electromagnetic field when an electric current goes through a wire, the orientation of the field, and how it causes the wire to physically move when placed in a larger magnetic field. The expert summarizer explains that the field does not rotate like a top, but rather the rotation is the result of a compass needle being deflected. The summary also mentions the interaction between the external magnetic field and the electric field of the moving electrons in the wire, which ultimately causes the wire to move.
Zachary Markham
So I have been curious as to the exact workings of a simple D.C. electric motor, and the transformation of electric energy into motor power. I think I have a basic understanding of the topic but there are numerous gaps in my understanding. Firstly, I think I am correct in saying that as an electric current goes through, say, a wire, it creates an electromagnetic field around said wire, a field that rotates around the wire clock-wise if you are looking at the negative end from the positive. What about electrons traveling through the wire makes it create that field? Why is the field oriented the way it is? Lastly, how does that field cause the wire to physically move as it does when it is put inside a larger magnetic field, I don't see how the larger field could repulse the wire's field that is wholly inside of it. It seems like the positive and negative parts of the smaller field would cancel out for the larger field and make it inert?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I am correct in saying that as an electric current goes through, say, a wire, it creates an electromagnetic field around said wire, a field that rotates around the wire clock-wise if you are looking at the negative end from the positive.
The field does not "rotate" like, say, a top rotates. The arrow that gives the direction of the field at a point is an imaginary compass needle ... the "rotation" is just how a compass needle gets deflected when it is close to a wire.

What about electrons traveling through the wire makes it create that field?
What about them?

Why is the field oriented the way it is?
Because that is how it works.
Science is about what happens, and what is, not about why it is, or happens in, a particular way.

Lastly, how does that field cause the wire to physically move as it does when it is put inside a larger magnetic field, I don't see how the larger field could repulse the wire's field that is wholly inside of it. It seems like the positive and negative parts of the smaller field would cancel out for the larger field and make it inert?
The external fixed magnetic field in your example is usually thought of as interacting with the electric field of the electrons moving in the wire. When a charge ##q## moves with velocity ##\vec v## in a magnetic field ##\vec B## it experiences a force ##\vec F = q\vec v\times\vec B## ... since the charges, in this case, are confined to the wire, the whole wire gets a shove.

1. What is a D.C. motor?

A D.C. motor is an electromechanical device that converts direct current (D.C.) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) and uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to produce rotational motion.

2. How does a D.C. motor work?

A D.C. motor works by utilizing the interaction between a magnetic field and an electric current. When an electric current is passed through the armature (rotating part) of the motor, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field created by the stator, causing the armature to rotate.

3. What factors affect the performance of a D.C. motor?

The performance of a D.C. motor is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the armature, the size and shape of the motor's components, and the quality of the electrical connections.

4. What are the advantages of using a D.C. motor?

D.C. motors have several advantages, including high efficiency, precise speed control, and the ability to produce a high torque at low speeds. They are also relatively simple and easy to maintain compared to other types of motors.

5. How is the Detailed Physics of a D.C. Motor studied?

The Detailed Physics of a D.C. Motor can be studied through various methods, including theoretical analysis, computer simulations, and experimental testing. Scientists use principles of electromagnetism, mechanics, and thermodynamics to understand and analyze the behavior of D.C. motors.