Determin the magnitude of the net electric field of three point charges

In summary, there is a problem with three point charges, q1 and q2, and point P forming a triangle. The net electric field at point P is entirely in the negative y-direction. The charge for q2 is not known. The equation E=Q/4∏ε0r2 is suggested to determine the magnitude of the net electric field at P. However, since only the value for q1 is given, further information or calculations are needed to determine the net electric field. It is suggested to write the total E-field in different directions and set them equal to zero, except for the y-direction. There may be a missing third charge or unit charge at point P.
Ruth_1392

Homework Statement

There are three point charges, q1 has a magnitude of 3.00mC (the sign is not known) and is 5.0cm away from P and 13.0 cm away from q2. P is 12.0cm away from q2 and the three points form a triangle. The net electric field at point P is entirely in the negative y-direction. The charge for q2 is not known.

Determine the magnitude of the net electric field.

Homework Equations

E=Q/4∏ε0r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you have to use the equation above and then add the 3 values together, but I don't know how to calculate E when I'm only given the value for q1 and none of the other points.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the net electric field at p is only in one direction, the sum of the contributions in all other directions at point p must be zero. Try writing the total E-field in different directions at point p (sum the contributions from each charge) and set them equal to zero for all the cases but the y-dir. My guess is you will have a solvable system of equations from which you can get the charge values and the y-dir field at p.

For part a) I had to: Sketch the correct force configuration and work out the signs for the
charges q1 and q2. Do I use my answer for a) in this part?
Thanks

is the third charge at P?? Nothing is mentioned about the third charge? What three points form a triangle? If the problem is referring to point P, charge1 and charge 2 all this says is that they are not along a line. Where is charge 3?

The question had a picture and P, q1 and q2 formed a triangle. Does the question only use q1 and q2? I'm not too sure what P is.

The problem says three charges but only talks about two charges and point P. Electric field is defined as a force per unit charge but the problem isn't clear to me. Is there a unit charge at point P that we're supposed to assume? See if something is missing.

1. What is the formula for determining the magnitude of the net electric field of three point charges?

The formula for determining the magnitude of the net electric field of three point charges is E = k * Q / r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance between the point charge and the location where the electric field is being calculated.

2. How do you calculate the net electric field when the three point charges have different signs?

To calculate the net electric field when the three point charges have different signs, you need to consider the direction of the electric field created by each point charge. If two charges have the same sign, their electric fields will repel each other, while if they have opposite signs, their electric fields will attract each other. The net electric field is then determined by the vector sum of these individual electric fields.

3. Can the net electric field of three point charges ever be zero?

Yes, the net electric field of three point charges can be zero if the three point charges are arranged in such a way that their individual electric fields cancel each other out. This can happen when the charges are arranged in a straight line or in a symmetrical pattern.

4. How does the distance between the point charges affect the magnitude of the net electric field?

The distance between the point charges has an inverse relationship with the magnitude of the net electric field. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases and vice versa. This is because the electric field follows the inverse square law, meaning that the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

5. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the magnitude of the net electric field?

The magnitude of the charges has a direct relationship with the magnitude of the net electric field. As the magnitude of the charges increases, the electric field also increases and vice versa. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges according to Coulomb's law.